Chapter 43: "It was a good summer" - Perfect Stranger.

No better time like today, I thought as I went to to the kitchen and made some tea. The house was always so quiet when I was here that it was hard to know if either Serena or Connor were here.

I poured the cup of tea for myself, mostly to get rid of the taste of whiskey that was still apparent on my tongue. The only taste on my lips that I didn't want to drift away, was the taste Leo's lips on mine.

I carried the plain white mug up to my room, being careful not to drop any of the hot liquid. The first thing I did was just lie down from exhaustion, before forcing the hot liquid down my dry throat.

I sighed, looking around the room, picking up one or two pieces that had been left their. I unlocked the suitcase and took out the art book, with the drawings of Leo inside it, and read the little passage I had wrote. Without trying to think too much of it, I ripped it out of the book and folded it up, placing it neatly into my jeans pocket.

I proceeded to take my suitcase and duffle bag downstairs, almost tripping from the weight. My bags were near the door,  ready to leave, as I placed put my leather jacket inside the big suitcase.

My summer vacation, was coming to a close, and the only thing left to do was talk to my ex-best friend - which I had been conveniently avoiding.

I went back up to the room since it was clear that Serena wasn't here. Sitting down, on the edge of the bed, the rooms seemed too empty. It feel to much like the start of summer, when I had no problems to face. 

Almost in a rush to get out of the room, and avoid feeling the nostalgia for any longer, I grabbed my bag, and a lighter from the kitchen, it was one that was used at the bonfire. I then went to the beach. The sun was a shade of green, fading into blue. I stood as the water rushed at my feet, before grabbing the lighter and setting fire to the one item that destroyed me, and my friendship.

Once the fire went out, I stood shivering from the sudden rush of wind, whilst staring at the semi-burnt tape, I kept walking into the ocean, I walked so far that I was scared if I would even find a way back again. I placed the tape into the ocean, letting the waves take control of something that I felt like I no longer had any control over.

Serena came rushing down the stairs when I walked back into the beach house. "I'm leaving," I said trying to hold back tears that had found their way to the surface. Her blonde hair was extra wavy today she was probably trying a new style, and her yellow and pink dress flowed to the knees. It already seemed like I hadn't seen her in months, after skillfully avoiding her for so long.

"Yeah...I um...I noticed," she said, gesturing to the bags.

"It's been one eventful summer," I said, starting to say my thoughts out loud. Fighting wasn't an option now, I refused to get angry or bitter.

"I'm sorry, Alison," she said, meekly.

"I know," I said nodding, and I knew she was, but things would never be the same. I walked so close to her that if we moved any closer our noses would have probably been touching. "But if we became friends again, I would just be lying to myself, because I wouldn't be okay."

"Maybe like any relation ship, we can build it up again?" Serena asked, her pale eyes full of hope.

I shook my head sadly, "You can't build up fourteen years of friendship from the ground, maybe if you didn't pick Connor, maybe then," I said looking at the wooden floorboards.

"About that," Serena started off taking a deep breath, "I've decided to stay here a little longer..." she stopped speaking.

"What do you mean?" I asked when she refused to continue, without some kind of reassurance.