4. Revelations and resolutions

Courage
is the resistance to fear,
mastery of fear,
not the absence of fear.

-Mark Twain

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

It is late night by the time I am free from my duties. After a day of laborious work, I can now finally take a breath of peace.

I washed, scrubbed, cleaned, cooked and finally finished the chores.

The cold wind blows against my skin making me shiver under the thin dress. I look through the barred window overlooking the lawn as my fingers played idly with the fringes of my dress. The sky is cloudy. The moon is fighting to show up. The stars are scarce, dotting the darkness.

I let out a deep breath as I reflect over the last two years. Things were better since I had accepted the position. They never beat me like the used to; they stopped keeping me in the smelling dungeons. I was allowed to roam around the palace. I had never been outside the walls nor had I ever gone on a run—yet, the treatment I received is way better than before.

They still injected Wolfsbane in me. There were still times when I experienced sudden blackouts after meals. But the lashings had dwindled down.

I tuck the strands of my hair behind my ear and stifle a yawn. Jumping off windowsill in my room, I head out, quiet as a mouse.

Tiptoeing through the long corridor, I look out for his looming presence. Five years with the blue eyed beast had taught me to be on guard always. One never knew when he or his evil minions would spring out from the dark corners.

I take a right turn and walk towards the kitchen in search of food. My pace is relaxed since there aren't a majority of soldiers around. My sole focus is on my starving stomach which demands something edible.

The kitchen door comes into my kind of sight. Warily, I check if the coast is clear before  hurrying over. Not that they would stop me, they couldn't even if they tried. Being smaller in size has its benefits. I could squeeze myself into any nook or corner or pantry and wait until they passed.

Suddenly, the door opens.

A tall man walks out. His gaze is downcast, focused on an envelope he is currently trying to hide in his pocket.  Face hidden under the shadow of his hood, he mutters something indistinctly about leaving before they catch him.

I freeze in my tracks.

It is near midnight. It's odd that he has work so late at night when everyone is asleep. Even more suspicious is that he's wearing a guard's attire, yet not on duty.

Curious to a fault, I can't let the opportunity pass.

I walk towards him. Bump into him with full force.

A loud groan escapes him as he crashes to the floor. "What the hell!?" He curses as he stumbles backwards.

The voice seems familiar, but I can't pinpoint it. It's like I've know him from long time ago.

With no time to waste, I grab the envelope while he is still trying to get up.

My eyes skim over the address until it lands on an achingly familiar name.
"Aden Carter"

My eyes widen. The gears in my head are set in motion.

This letter will reach their hands—The Dark Wolf Pack. My home. My—Aden, my best friend will read this. This is one way to finally communicate with him.