43. Stupidity or treason (II)

GATHERED AROUND THE table in the meeting room, it's past one in the afternoon as we sit down to discuss  the fate of the Luna of the Dark Wolves. Through the window, I catch a glimpse of a troop of warriors training intensely under the sun.

The meeting consists of only the leaders, the Beta and a select warriors. Chief Warrior Jared, the twins, Felix and a couple of other veteran guards. With sleep deprivation, empty stomachs and the constant fear of impending doom, everyone is more irritable than usual.

Jared and his Warriors had appointed a young, fierce female as their voice of reason, Melissa Smith—a newcomer and one of Jared's protégés.

"So what are we going to do about Stella?" Melissa starts, putting idle chatter to an end.

Across the table, Nick is bent under the table scraping gum off his shoe. His brother not so discreetly sniffs his armpit to check if he stinks. The warrior seated next to them, scrunches his nose up in disgust.

Ashton glares at the duo. Sensing him, they jump up and accidentally bang their heads together as they settle into their seats.

My poker face stays on with considerable effort.

"She's becoming more of a hinderance than a blackmail material." Melissa continues, "We all hate her anyway, so why aren't we disposing her off? She broke the law, so, according to the rule book executing her wouldn't be wrong. Besides, if her Daddy dearest comes by complaining we can always say his daughter became collateral damage of the recent rogue attacks. Not sure, that'll satisfy him, but hey, who gives a damn, right?"

Chuckles run through the room. Chief Warrior Jared and his loyal subordinates nod approvingly at the pretty red haired werewolf.

"Melissa, losing Stella also means Alpha Aden loses his sister. The Dark Wolves lose their leader. It will create a negative impact on the members." I point out, well aware that people in our pack still have mixed opinions about the Alpha of the Dark Wolves. His stunt at being back from the dead had left them less than impressed and many of the other wolves were already doubting his credibility. "He's been through a lot lately. This will only make it worse."

"But she's been a bad sister and a bad leader!" Melissa argues heatedly, "She nearly got us killed! I'm sure Alpha Carter and the rest of the pack won't mind once they realises we did the world a favor!"

"She didn't do it on purpose!" I retort, "It was a moment of stupidity. We've all done stupid things at some point in our lives. It's what eventually made us wiser."

Melissa presses her full lips grimly. "Yes, but our stupidity never endangered the lives of our pack members."

"Regardless, she is young and naive. I think everyone who makes mistakes should be allowed one chance to redeem themselves."

Jared clears his throat. "I think you are missing the point, Luna. Your sentiments are clouding your sense of judgement."

I give him a cold look. "If you what you say is true, Jared, give me one good reason to kill her apart from your unreasonable hatred for her."

Opening and shutting his mouth like a goldfish, he realises belatedly he has nothing to say.

Melissa sighs. "Don't take this the wrong way, Luna. It's just that... I-We hate her so much for everything she put us through."