INITIUM

Mors Vincit Omnia.

⬛️⬛️⬛️

ONCE UPON A TIME, centuries before our four Chosen Wolves were born, there was a born a boy.

Perhaps, born isn't the right word. He was created in a cauldron, from fire and air and water and dust - the four fundamental elements of our existence. The day he was came into being, many said, would be the beginning of a new era.

His father was the fifth WereGuardian - Tyrus Custos.

His mother he knew little of. She was a quiet, frail woman who loved his father. They weren't mates (because WereGuardians don't have mates), but when his father had laid eyes on his mother, he knew with certainty she was the only woman with whom he wanted to spend an eternity. She barely reached his shoulder and was so light her frame swayed with the breeze. She had long black hair that reached upto his hips and haunting electric blue eyes, much like his own. He doesn't remember her name, or maybe he chooses not to. Doesn't matter. Not anymore.

They owned a castle overlooking a cliff.

As a child, the boy scampered about the castle grounds on clumsy feet with furry wolf pups hot on his tail. The giant halls echoed with the sounds of his laughter.

One night, he discovered a bright white ball in the sky. It was an accident really. He didn't mean to disobey his father and sneak out of the room but it was hot and stifling inside and he thought he would feel better if he opened the wooden windows. When he looked up, he saw it. And once he did, he couldn't stop staring. She was the most beautiful, mesmerising thing he'd ever seen.

From then on, he opened his windows every night after his father left. He would watch it pass over the sky until his eyes grew tired and fell asleep. As his slept, he could feel her watching him too.

He swore, sometimes she even winked at him.

But one unlucky night, his father caught him in the act.

He was so furious, he slapped him for disobedience, yelled and shook him till he cried. Then he made the boy promise never to do it again.

His mother tried to calm him down but he had his guards throw her out of the room.

"We don't believe in Selene." His father growled, towering over the hunched, trembling figure. There was an animalistic gleam in his eyes as he glared down at his son. "The Moon Goddess isn't real. She's just another deity to fool mortal beings into submission."

The boy didn't understand what his father said that day. He was only four years old then. But he understood enough to never stare at the pretty white ball again. It made his father mad.

That night the moon stared at the closed window for a long time before departing.

It was over, she knew.

When the boy grew older, he discovered a secret - his father had a vast library, locked and hidden away from curious eyes. In it contained the most exciting stories. Some it were about the wolves he played with, some cooking recipes written in ancient languages, some were the craziest magic tricks he had ever seen.

From then on, every night he snuck into the library after his parents were asleep and read until the candle wax melted.

This time, he was sharper. When he locked the library doors in the early morning and slunk back to his room, he made sure to leave no evidence behind.

One time, a guard was mean to him. So, he tried a magic trick he had learnt on the condescending jerk. With a snap of his fingers, he burnt the man's insides. The poor wretch screamed, sinking to his knees as blood poured out of his eyes and ears.