16. No need of complications

Women fall in love by what they hear.
Men fall in love by what they see.
That's why
women wear makeup
and men lie.

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

THE METAL BURNS into her skin. A whimper escapes her lips.

"Tell us who you are loyal to." One of Aden's Gammas yanks her up by her hair. "Tell us how you are bound to him and maybe then you'll live to see another day."

She shakes her head resolutely. "I will reveal nothing."

This girl— stupid and stubborn as ever.

"Please Claire, just tell us about him. Just tell us why you are loyal to him and I promise we won't harm you." I tell her softly, "You don't have to go through this."

She looks at me in the eye and spits out a mouthful of blood. "Fuck off, Luna."

Next to me, Aden growls menacingly. A storm stirs behind his grey eyes as he glares down at the traitor. "I can make this ten time times worse if you don't comply." He threatens. "It would be best if you learn to respect your Luna who has been nothing but kind to you all this time."

"Kind to me?" She croaks in disgust, "When has she ever thought about anyone but herself? She's a whore who has no qualms about stringing two men along."

Oh God, not this again.

I had no idea a harmless crush on Ashton two years ago would come back and bite me in the ass this hard. Feelings are things that can't be controlled. Were harbouring romantic feelings for my best friend so wrong? It was never wrong to love. Besides, it's not like we're still together.

"My feelings are none of your concern, Claire. You have no right to point your finger at me. You think having a crush is wrong? What then will you say about a person who betrayed her own pack?"

"My actions are justified!" She snarls, her hands tugging violently against the silver chains binding her.

"Betrayal can't be justified by anything." I shake my head. "You're delusional. If you thought joining our enemy and plotting our downfall will give you happiness, I hope you regret it when you burn in hell."

She bares her teeth.

"I hate you." She whispers, only for me to hear. "I never had a moment of happiness when I was a part of your pack. You snatched everything from me when you became the Luna."

I shoot her an incredulous look. "That's what made you so jealous?" I ask her, disgusted at her way of thinking, "You wanted the position so bad that you are prepared to risk the life of countless children and adults as well?"

"I would have been a much better Luna than you. The only reason you became what you are today is because the Alpha himself was smitten -"

"That's enough!" Ashton roars. She flinches at the venom dripping from his voice. "We are not discussing this stupidity anymore. Kiara deserved the position because she worked hard for it. Her intentions were selfless unlike your own twisted ones. She wanted to be of service to the pack, but you, you were greedy for power !" He scoffs bitterly, "Don't try to divert the topic, Claire. We all know that's not the only reason you decided to betray us. What is the real reason?"

My brows furrow in confusion. "What else is she hiding?"

"Much more. Oh so much more, aren't you, Claire?" He spits out. "If she thinks she can fool us, she's high on drugs."