6. The past is back

"I don't replace people
– I upgrade."

⬛️⬛️⬛️

He says nothing, but the clenched fists and tense posture shows that this isn't over yet.

Ignoring the fact that his intense gaze is now boring holes into me, I return to my conversation with Ashton.

"Did he question you about it?" Ashton inquires in a hushed voice when Aden's attention is elsewhere.

I nod discreetly, "To say he was shocked would be an understatement, Ash. I don't think he's going to let go of it so easily."

Ashton purses his lips thoughtfully. "He can't do anything about it, since he was the one who rejected you in the first place. He can't stop you if you don't want to. It's your choice, after all." A pause. "You are the Luna as long as you choose to be. The position will be taken away from you only when you volunteer to give it up."

I nod.

"By the way, who's the Luna of the Dark Wolves?" I ask him a few moments later, "Is it Nicole Sanders?"

He shrugs, "I don't know. Never asked the Guardians about that."

His disinterest doesn't satisfy my curiosity. I crane my neck to see who is sitting in the Dark Wolf Luna's seat. As it turns out it's Stella, Aden's baby sister.

Sensing my gaze, she turns towards me and gives me a smile. Like her mother, it seems forced. I feel the awkwardness. Nevertheless, I smile back.

"Stella is sitting in the Luna's place," I remark to Ashton, "May be it's because she's Aden's sister. And Nicole's coronation as the Luna hasn't happened yet."

"But you don't care about that anymore, do you?" He asks me, watching me intently.

"Not anymore."

Ashton continues to stare at me, a mixture of skepticism etched on his face. Seconds tick by but I'm determined not to break eye contact.

"Kiara, you know you can tell me if you are feeling-"

"I'm NOT feeling anything." I snap louder than I intended to. It draws a few curious glances in our direction. "Just drop it."

To my right, Aden shifts uncomfortably again. Irritation spikes inside me at the less than appropriate distance between us.

Cerberus stands up at that moment and clears his throat, distracting us. His black cloak is billowing behind him, making him look powerful as well as scary at the same time.

Next to him, Fenrir stands in an emerald green cloak and the staff in his hand. His face wears a stern expression on her face as she scrutinizes the crowd with her eyes.

The crowd falls silent instantly, waiting in anticipation. There are hushed murmurs when he begins to speak, but they quieten down quickly when people next to them shoot them quelling glares.

"My dear people," Cerberus begins, addressing the multitude in front of him, "We have gathered here today with a purpose in mind. For the next one year, we will work and act as one for our survival as well as our family.

"As most of you already are aware, GreyHound is back in power. Just like five years ago, he his threatening to rebel and overthrow our age old system of governance and traditions. He wants to bring the tyrannical rule again and wants to gain control over our packs."

"So, to defend ourselves, we need to be united," He continues, looking at each of us in turn, "There will be troubled times ahead, and there are even chances of attacks and wars on individual packs. But as a single pack that exceeds a population of ten thousand, their chances of victory are slimmer."