33. Bad at confrontations (I)

^^ aesthetic by @scoutryder

"They told me you were gone and I screamed.
I wailed and I cried and I screamed. As loud as I could. I halfway hoped that if you could hear me screaming on your way to heaven, you would turn around and come back to me."

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

THE NOT-SO-LITERAL house-arrest can only contain me for so long.

It's been two days since I last felt sunlight on my skin, the breeze blowing through my hair. Except for Dr. Payton, Ashton and Bella, no one is allowed. It sucks.

When I awake again, there isn't a soul in sight. The bed creaks as I get up and head downstairs. What's surprising is there's no one in the living room too. The kitchen is empty, there's no sound of the TV.

Cautious now, I open the main door and head out.

-Only to find the entire community of werewolves gathered outside.

Beyond our pack house lies ten acres of empty space, surrounded by hedges and trees. There, I find everyone, practising the defence-skills. The four guardians wander between them, barking out instructions and demonstrating moves. Alpha Raven and his mate are training their own pack how to combat. A few hundred feet away, Ariana is showing people how to wield knives. At first she tells them to throw darts on a board, increasing the distance each time they hit bull's eye. Then, she hands them knives and tells them to aim and throw at dummies.

All in all, the pre-war preps seem to be coming on really well.

"Kiara," an all-too-familiar voice deadpans, "I thought I told you to stay in your room."

I spin around, before coming face to face with an annoyed looking looking Ashton Taylor. His mouth is pursed in a thin line as he glares at me. It's hard to ignore the way his body is dripping wet after showering and how the water clinging to his hair, just makes him even more breathtaking. Once upon a time, I would have been floored at such a sight.

"Hello to you too, Ash. I'm feeling much better." I smile sarcastically. "Thanks you for asking."

He rolls his eyes, before slipping his arm through mine and dragging me away from the horde of people. "Come on, I don't have time to deal with your sarcasm right now. Lets get you back to bed."

"Let's not." I insist, stopping abruptly.

Ashton sighs exasperatedly and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Don't be difficult. You know roaming around here, when you're in heat is a bad idea, don't you? Especially when there are shirtless, hot blooded men around you."

"I want to help." I state firmly. "I'm going nuts lying on my bed all day. All I can think about is Aden when I close my eyes. Honestly, it's haunting."