27. Unlock me

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

When you're not sure,
flip a coin because while the coin is in the air,
you'll realize which one you're actually
hoping for.

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

A D E N

EVERY SECOND TICKING sends a rush of panic flooding through my veins.

Her nails dig into my skin, as heat and terror radiates off her in waves. Standing in such close proximity, I can hear every breath she intakes.

"You've been such fools." GreyHound mocks as he circles us. "And to think I had heard such great stories about you."

My eyes narrow. "What are you talking about?"

"You've been gifted courage, selflessness and load of crap. What use was all that when it ultimately led to your doom?" He smiles, although it never reached his eyes. "What use is courage and selflessness without basic common sense?"

My fist tightens. Knuckles turn white.

"The thing which you were looking for was in front of you all this time." He continues, smug. "Tsk tsk. If only you two weren't so blind. I almost feel sorry for you."

The guards around us laugh, savoring out expressions.

"What is the hell is he talking about?" Kiara hisses, just as my eyes are drawn to the centre table where I'd seen the book that lay open. Now it's closed. "I swear, that book wasn't the one I had seen earlier."

Kiara's insistence makes me frown. "You sure?"

"Yes, yes I'm fucking positive, Aden!" She throws a poisonous glare at GreyHound."This is a trap. The book wasn't even in the room until he got here!"

I observe at the book carefully. Outwardly, it seemed the same. Yet the pages were already yellowing and work out unlike the one seen previously.

Thinking fast, I step forward.

One of the guards blocks my path. "Where did you think you're going?"

"Seeing is believing. I won't believe until I open it and see it for myself."

GreyHound chuckles. "Go ahead. Open it."

When I pick it up, I realize there's a lock. My gaze shift backs to GreyHound, who's expression doesn't give anything away. Instead, he smiles a slow taunting smile.

That's when everything finally clicks in place. Finding the book isn't my test, unlocking it to find the answers is.

My eyes involuntarily movie towards Kiara who's watching me. She bites her lip in silent question. "What next?"

"If you figure out the lock, you have the satisfaction of finding the answers you seek before you die. If you don't," GreyHound pauses, shrugging carelessly, "You die anyway."

A growl rips through Kiara's throat. "To think we ever agreed play fair."

But he remains unpertubed. "Can a tiger change his stripes?" He asks her, still smiling. "No. Because that's what makes him a tiger, sweetheart. Then how did you expect me to be any different?"

My girl shows him the middle finger.

Meanwhile, I force myself to focus. Is the answer a code of some sort? A hundred possible ways flash through my mind as I search for a solution in the limited time that I have.