22. Downstairs department

Dedicated to one of my closest friends on wattpad. (Belated) Happy birthday Happyharshini! Be the sweetest and the cutest friend you've always been! <3

⬛️⬛️⬛️

"I heard you're a player.
Nice to meet you, I'm the coach."

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

CHAPTER XXII : Downstairs Department?

The higher I go, the riskier it gets.

Aden and Ashton seems like tiny specks of dust now, far below, half hidden by the leaves and branches that hinder my vision. After nearly an hour, I'm at the topmost branches, clinging onto it with all my life.

"Are you there yet?" Ashton asks me through the mindlink.

"Yes. I'm looking anything that might give us a hint. Give me some time, and tell Aden to stop hollering up at me. It's pointless and distracting."

He chuckles. "I'd tell him. But do you think he'll listen?"

"Then make him."

"Can't. He's worried about you. I am too."

Knowing, they wouldn't listen to me, I shut the mindlink and risk looking around. I'll deal with Aden later.

Hidden among the branches, I scan the miles that lay ahead of me. At first, I see nothing, but just as I am about to give up, I see it.

Smoke rises through the trees, signalling the presence of someone else except us. They're a couple of miles away from us, but the spire of a tower neck to neck with the trees close by, warns me to keep my guard up.

I risk a closer look and imprint every detail to my mind before climbing down. They're close.

Unease and anxiety forms a pit in my stomach and my palms start sweating. I'm determined to get there, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared. I'm scared for myself. I'm scared for Ashton, but most of all I'm scared for Aden.

As I climb back down, I can't help but think why I chose this in the first place. Why did I decide it was best for us to stay as friends when clearly he wanted more?

Some might think of me as a bitch.

And I don't disagree. Sometimes, I am.

But right now, this bitch is looking out for her ex-mate, as complicated things are between them.

The thing with GreyHound is, he doesn't just look at you, he looks into your soul. He reads your deepest secrets, he learns what breaks you and what makes you stronger. With him, it won't be just a battle of outward strength.

It's a battle of wits.

Being a hybrid werewolf, he knows where our weaknesses lie. Clearly, I am Aden's weakness. Ashton's weakness was Nora. Everyone knew he adored his little niece. He may not have been with her all the time, but even a stranger would know she was the apple of his eye.

What did GreyHound do?

He killed her.

GreyHound is already well informed that Aden and I are mates. He also knows Aden rejected me three years ago. I left the pack, breaking all connection with him, and found a home among the Blood Hounds. But that's all he knows.

He doesn't know, I've put my past behind me and given Aden another chance. Against my better judgement, I forgave Aden and we're closer than before.

GreyHound seeks total control. He doesn't just defeat, he destroys.