33. Bad at confrontations (II)

^^aesthetic by @haileybaer <3

⬛️⬛️⬛️

SOMETHING HAD TO be done, and it had to be done right now.

I double over, wheezing and coughing uncontrollably. My muscles and bones feel liquefied, even as my heart hammers away at my ribcage. Pain shoots down my spine, knocking me off my feet. I cough again, this time drawing blood.

"Ash." My eyes flutter shut.

"KIARA!" Ashton is at my side, catching me in his arms before I hit the ground. "Ki, stay with me, okay? Nothing is going to happen to you, I promise."

His ghostly pale face swims to and fro as my vision gets blurrier. He cradles my head, and shakes me almost feverishly as he struggles to bring me back to consciousness. I blink rapidly when I feel myself sway and I claw at his shirt to steady myself. "You - whatsyourname - miss, what are you waiting for?! Go get her water!" Ashton yells at the woman hovering over me.

The fright on her face is the last thing I see before she flees from the spot.

Good.

As soon as her footsteps fade into nothing, I let go off Ashton and get back on my feet, feeling satisfied. Straightening the creases in my shirt, I glance Ashton's way. "That was quite a show, wasn't it?"

Ashton's jaw drops in shock. "Ki, what the fuck?! I thought you were dying!"

"That's what you were supposed to think." Seeing the confusion on his face, I add, "It was supposed to look convincing enough to her."

Ashton's face is still one of pure disbelief and confusion. "What- how... come again?"

I sigh. "This is an old trick I learned, back when I was still mastering my healing abilities. Just as you can take away pain from people, you can induce it too. However, the inducing works only on yourself and it's more like an illusion rather than actual pain. I never actually used it until now, because I never needed to."

"All this time you were just acting?" He grits his teeth, pissed beyond measure. "A little warning in advance would have been fantastic."

I nod, a little sheepish. "There wasn't time. I'm sorry."

"That was a shitty move." He grumbles. "But why do we have to convince her?"

"Because, it's the only way I will be able to meet Stella alone, without causing suspicion." I explain. "Now, listen carefully. When the lady comes back, I will continue pretending I'm in pain and you will suggest that it would be best if I rested awhile here. I'm in heat and my emotions and hormones are all over the place. . . basically, I'm unstable. If anyone doubts us, this will be your excuse. Distract the woman, ask her to lead you to his parents. While you do that, I'll go to the guest-room, which is on the first floor. Stella and Aden's room is on the first floor too, so I can use that an excuse to enter her room accidentally. Once I'm there, I can easily confront her and get her to confess whatever she's hiding."