26. Heaven or hell, here I come

ONE MOMENT I am standing and the next, I'm thrown at the wall. A resounding crash ensues as the nearest shelf topples over and a whole flood of pages and books rain down on me.

Fortunately for me, the bullet wasn't meant for me. Or Aden.

It was meant to announce the arrival of someone dreadful. Someone awfully dreadful.

Pushing the pile of books away, I rise, slightly disoriented. The confusion lasts only for a few seconds, before everything becomes clear. A pair of pristine black boots invade my range of vision.

Someone clears his throat, I look up at the sound. Over twenty guns are currently pointed at my heart.

Our eyes meet and he smiles. "We meet at last."

I don't have to mention who 'he' is, for I'm already sure we know it already. Even if I had been blind, I wouldn't fail to recognize his presence, he's just that obvious. His aura, his smell - it's overwhelming. That's right, Grey fucking Hound, it is.

When he extends his hand for a handshake, mine stays in my pocket. A hundred thousand brutal scenarios race through my mind even when my face remains impassive.

"Germphobe." I mutter, unwilling to touch him. "I'm Kiara, although you probably already know that."

"I'm aware." He replies. "I'm GreyHound."

His eyes are tracking me—cautiously, cunningly. I avert my gaze and scan the room for an exit. I'd make a break for it while I can, but—

Aden. Dammit. I can't leave him behind.

"I believe you were looking for something." GreyHound speaks up when the silence gets too lengthy. "Did you find it?"

Right now, I need to buy us time. So, I cross my arms insolently. Throw him the haughtiest look I can muster. "Maybe."

At once, the guns are raised higher. But GreyHound waves them down. His lips curl into a smirk.

"For a girl with so many guns pointed at her, you're awfully unafraid."

"Oh, please. You're a terrible shot. Given you trained your men, it's not much to worry over."

"A terrible shot?" Amusement laces that tone. "What makes you say that?"

"Considering you're an immortal but you still haven't established world dominance, I'd have to say your fighting skills are lacking." I reply. "Why else would hide in this haunted house you call home? You're ashamed of yourself and you know it."

My wolf rolls her eyes. Rile him, why don't you? She grumbles. While you're at it, hand him your dagger and have him plunge it in your heart as well.

He takes a step closer. "You're mouthy. I like you."

My heart stutters slightly as he comes to a stop just inches away from me. Up close, he's even more handsome. Beautiful, in a very unearthly sort of way.

Electric blue eyes. Blond hair cropped short. A long scar runs down his cheek upto his neck. For the very first time, his hood is off and his face is bare for the world to see.

Inwardly, my mind screaming.

"You're staring." He remarks smugly.

If I didn't know this guy was a killer, I'd say he's worth dating. Hell, he'd even make a good boyfriend with that face of his. But his intentions ruin it all.

I blink. Clear the haziness in my mind. "What do you want?"

"Funny, I should be asking you that, seeing you're the one who broke into my home." Grabbing my arm, he pulls me closer. I struggle against his vice like grip, but in vain. He doesn't let go.