8. Kiara on a killing spree

THUD. THUD. THUD.

"Open up! I know you're in there!"

Radio silence.

"Open up Kiara or I won't hesitate to break in!"

THUD. THUD. THUD. THUD. THUD.

"OPEN THE GODDAMN-"

"It's open, you oaf."

The door flings open with a deafening noise. I jump out of my seat when a hurricane comes hurtling towards me.

"You better have a damn good explanation for this, Kiara."

"You better have a damn good explanation for every messed up thing you've done so far."

He frowns. "What are you talking about?"

"Drop the act, Carter. Everyone knows."

I toss my hair back in victory. Glance glance at his bare torso which is currently resembling something halfway between a vibrant red and blue.

Red rashes. Blue paint. Impressive.

I need to thank Max and Nick for the wonderful idea they gave me later.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act innocent. It isn't working." I reply, my eyes still glued to his chest. I try to tear my gaze away, but there's a jolt in my stomach. A sudden seizure of hormones. Suddenly, my gaze is stuck there for all the wrong reasons.

He sighs, unaware that I'm ogling. "I am not pretending, Kiara. I really don't know -"

"Don't even finish that line, you liar! You know it, and I know you know it!" I growl, my violet eyes finally meeting his dark grey ones that crinkle with amusement when he sees the slight flush in my cheeks.

"You're blushing." He states smugly, finally having caught up. "I wonder why."

"It's just the April heat." I look away.

"It's September, Kiara." He takes a step closer towards me.

I take two steps back immediately, to maintain the distance. The douchebag in front of me seems to be forgetting the concept of personal space. "Stay where you are."

"Oh come on. You'll get a better view when I'm closer." Two steps forward.

"You're a jerk." I reply, choosing to rectify the reducing distance between us. Three steps back.

"But a very hot one, I am told."

"Go back, Aden. Shoo."

All coherent thoughts leave me when my back touches the wall, giving me no space for further movement. My eyes widen at the vulnerable position I am in, while a triumphant smirk plays at his lips.

"You called me by my name."

It three long strides, he is in front of me, closing the distance between us.

"Let me go." I muster all the courage I possess. I can't afford to give into my emotions. Not now. Not when I have planned to lock them all deep in my heart and never let it out.

"No." The intensity in his eyes has my resolutions wavering. "I won't make that mistake again."

His nearness affects me more than I wish to admit. It brings back everything I don't wish to feel again. Why doesn't he get it? He is happy without me. He has moved on. Then why doesn't he let me be?