24. Sisters, misters and pink aprons

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

"We're all broken.
That's how the light gets in."

-Ernest Hemingway

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

When Arie awakens an hour later, I'm already up and sipping tea.

Nah. Just kidding. Aden and Ashton were filling me in with everything I missed out. Turns out, Aden already knew I was awake and just pretended to go along with the game. The smirk he shot me when I 'woke up' was a clear indication of that.

One look at her face and I'm convinced of one thing:

Ariana remembers nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Before we'd arrived, she'd been injected with a drug that had muddled up her memories. It had been done to make her more pliant.

Her blank face when Ashton helped her up, the formal smile she shot him, the veiled misery in his eyes - everything was painful to watch. She knew who we were, where she was, but she had no idea what she had done, said or whom she had found. Like I said, painful.

But we keep up the act. It's the only way we can keep her safe.

Once she had warmed up to us (by us, I mean Aden and me), she was back to being her old self. Internally, I was glad she hadn't changed. The drug had screwed up her mind and memories, but that was only temporarily. Now that the effects had worn out, we could see the real Ariana Evergreen we had missed these last five years.

I am happy. Aden is happy. . . well sort of. Unfortunately, looking at Ashton's face made any kind of happiness impossible to last.

Why did love have to be so goddamn difficult?

"-And so, I took the chance and crept out. The guards were knocked out stone cold, you see. It was easy for me to get past them. But the actual trouble lay in getting past the hall. . . hey, are you even listening to me?"

Sensing I had spaced out, she shakes me to bring me out of my reverie. I blink a couple of times before my eyes refocus on her.

"Um. . . yeah. That sounds wonderful."

She gives me a flat look. "Ki, I was talking about my near escape, not pizza."

I smile sheepishly. "Sorry, my mind wanders a lot. I missed you a lot."

That does the trick. Her face softens.

"So did I. Although I did check up on you now and then. It became kind of my pastime."

"You did? How?"

"The twin bond, duh." She says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "At first, it was just every now and then, but then gradually I learned to control it, channel my thoughts. It became more frequent, more prolonged. It was fun."