41. Drunken deeds and sober talks (I)

"If you're going through hell, keep going

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
-Winston Churchill

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

MUSIC BLASTS FROM the overhead speakers as sweaty bodies and drunken spirits sway to the rhythm.

Neon green and golden lights glow and bounce across the dance floor in time to the DJ's beats. Fingers digging into hips, dirty secrets whispered into ears and seductive smiles pulling mesmerized humans towards each other like gravity – the one wild, wild place I never dreamed I'd step into, as a Luna.

But tonight, I'm not a Luna.

Or at least, I don't want to be.

Clad in a peach off-shoulder jumper and high-waist jeans, I perch myself of one of the tall, red barstools lining the counter as I drown my sorrows in endless booze. Tapping my feet to the rhythm, I vaguely recognise one of the songs - Free Woman by Lady Gaga.

My fake ID lies on the counter as I chug down one shot after the other. Next to me, Ashton and Ariana sit with identical glum expressions on their faces.

It never would have worked out anyway, I reason bitterly. I couldn't go back to a pack that bullied me. Sure, I liked Aden but what about his family? Jason and I couldn't even be in the same room without exploding into chaos. Even if we'd gotten together, I'd have wished he left them for me... and he would have never agreed to it.

So this was doomed from the start.

"That's your twelfth shot, Ki." Ashton's voice rings out like a warning in my head, "Might want to stop drinking before the nausea hits."

My fingers curl around the glass possessively. "Fuck off. You're not the boss of me." I glower, swatting his hand away.

He huffs in annoyance as my sister places a comforting hand on his arm. "It's just misplaced anger." She mouths at him. To me, she says, "This is the last time you drink, young lady. Tomorrow, you're going to wake up with such a splitting hangover, wondering if all this worth it."

It totally is.

"We shouldn't have brought her here in the first place." Ashton says regretfully. "We shouldn't have listened."

"She's been through a lot lately. Cut her some slack." Ariana tries to reason with him.

"Slack? Really? She's a Luna for godsake!" Ashton stares at her, incredously. "Drinking isn't the solution to her problems! Do you know the amount of trouble we'll be in if any of the pack members happen to see us right now? Our hard-earned reputation will be soiled all in one night!"

"We'll deal with it." Ariana tells him firmly. "Even a Luna needs a break every now and then. Just look at her, Ash! She's a fucking train-wreck. She just got her heart broken all over again. Have some sympathy."