56. Awake at last

I know you're chokin' on your fears
Already told you I'm right here
I will stay by your side every night.

I don't know why you hide from the one
And close your eyes to the one
Mess up and lie to the one that you love
When you know you can cry to the one
Always confide in the one
You can be kind to the one that you love.

—Halsey and Marshmello (Be Kind)

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

A D E N

PAIN COURSES THROUGH my body like a trillion nerves being pulled taut. Through the haze, I watch as a set of hands move. Sleeves rolled up to the elbows. Touches light as a feather.

Something damp presses against my skin and I shudder in response. A voice—sweet and soothing—draws me in like magnet. I recognise that sound. But before I can call out, sleep takes over.

The next time I'm conscious, I feel her fingers intertwined in mine. My lips move, but my throat is dry. I want to hold her, but every muscle in my body is sluggishly slow. When I crack open my eyes, I'm met with darkness.

Tired, I fall asleep again.

The third, I'm more aware of my surroundings. Alert. My limbs don't feel so heavy and I blink as the ceiling swims into view.

A soft snore ripples through the silence. I sit up to find her curled into the little space between the table and the bed, head tucked into her elbow. Her eyes are shut, but the slight furrow between her brow remains.

"Kiara." My voice comes out hoarse from the lack of use.

She stirs and opens her eyes.

"Aden!" She breathes out. Relief flashes across her features and she's on her feet in seconds, hovering so close, I catch a whiff of her honey-like scent. "You're awake. Thank God, you were out quite a long time."

"You stayed." I murmur. My hand brushes against her arm. She doesn't pull away.

The corners of her mouth lift up in a teasing smirk. "Had to after you begged so much."

My smile mirrors hers as I lean back. "Did I now?" For all my attempts sound flirty, I sound like a croaking toad, but she doesn't seem to mind.

"Bawled like a baby when I tried to leave." Her violet eyes twinkle. She places her hand over my forehead. Then over my wrist. "Your fever is almost gone. Pulse's normal. How do you feel?"

"Like Sleeping Beauty." I stretch my arms, feeling a faint click in my shoulders when I rotate them. "Only disappointed because I wasn't kissed awake."

She chuckles—the sound a beautiful melody. "Keep dreaming. That's the most action you'll be getting."

I want to savour the sound, play it over and over again but a sharp sting turns my vision dark. My eyelids begin to droop again when she injects something into my arm. I sink further into the bed as she tucks in the sides of my sheets and observes the pallor of my skin and the veins running up my hands.

"I'm giving you a shot of morphine." Her voice comes out distorted like I'm underwater. "You need to rest while your wolf heals."