31. Long after you've gone

"STOP OR I SHOOT!"

My initial instinct is to ignore and jump anyway, but I stop abruptly when a familiar scream pierces through the air.

I turn around only to watch as my sister struggling to get away from her captor. He's pointing the gun at her head. His other hand holds her down, making it impossible to escape.

I'm too stunned to react. Aden stiffens. Ashton bares his teeth warningly.

"Let go of her." Ashton says, keeping his voice levelled and controlled. His face gives no emotions away but beneath the calm exterior, I can feel a storm brewing.

The guard grins tauntingly. "Yeah, or what?"

"You won't like what's coming."He takes a step forward, raising his hands in surrender. "Let her go and shoot me instead."

"You think I'm stupid? You're joking?" The guard growls. Out of spite, he twists her arm until she starts screaming loudly.

"Does it look like he's in the mood to crack jokes?" Aden retorts, rolling his eyes. "Seriously, just let her go, man. She's high maintenance and 99% of the time a pain in the ass. She's definitely not your master's type."

Ariana stops struggling and glowers at him.

But all this time, Ashton doesn't react to anything. His calculating eyes never leave the guard as he watches him like a waiting hawk.

Fear hits me in the heart when I realize he's actually serious. Is he really willing to end his life? I jump off the sill and slide over to Ashton's right, while Aden moves to his left. There's no way I'm going to let him do this alone.

"I don't want you." The guard tells Ashton, almost bored. "You die or live, that ain't my concern. My job's to get blondie here."

The way he looks at my sister makes me nauseous.

"Back off." I snarl. My fists tighten and I take a step forward. "You're all alone and we're four. Don't tempt us to kill you."

He bursts out laughing. "You think I'm alone? You'll have a whole army after your blood if you don't let me take her. You prepared for that, girlie?"

Ashton nearly pounces, but seeing the finger hovering over the trigger, I pull him back. He growls, rage evident in his eyes, but I shake my head.

One wrong move and my sister could die.

"Like I thought." The guard smiles sickeningly at Ariana while he drags her towards the door. "Come on, doll face. Let's not keep the master waiting."

Just as they are about to pass through the door, Ariana tugs her hand free. Punches him in the stomach. Caught by surprise, he doubles over in pain. At once, she bites down on his leg.

There's a sound of flesh being ripped off.

A howl of pure pain.

"Motherfucking bitch!" He yells as he drops the gun and he falls to the ground, clutching his bloody leg. "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

Quick as lightening, Ashton tackles him on floor. Eyes darken. Canines elongate as his wolf takes control. The guard is positively petrified. Drawing up his hand, he slashes his nails across the man's eyes, blinding him.

The man lets out a bloodcurdling scream.

He flails his arms about widely, as blood pours down his face. Tries to choke Ashton, but in vain. He's too far gone, in far too much of pain, to last any longer.

"That's for looking at my girl." Ashton whispers, leaning towards his ear. It's so soft, you can hardly hear him. I look at my sister, wondering if she heard it too. "And this-" he brings his hand up, "is for trying to take her away from me."