Ch. 1 Mr. Robinson

When you leave law school, jobs are difficult to find. They tell you it'll be years until you're successful, if you're ever successful. In my case, it only took me two years. A year after that, I was appointed a judge.

I was young. A lot of people thought I was naïve. A lot of people thought I didn't have what it takes to be a judge. As a result, people we're usually very rude in court. A lot of people got held in contempt in my court.

On a Monday morning, I rolled out of bed and showered. I dried off and curled my hair. Then, I dressed in a white blouse and grey pencil skirt. I slipped on my matching grey blazer and slipped into my favorite black heels. I looked at myself in the mirror.

It was another day for justice to be served.

I made a quick cup of coffee , grabbed my briefcase, and made my way out of my townhouse. I began walking to work.

It was a nice morning. There were a few clouds in the sky, but the sun still shined through. It wasn't humid; it was actually a pleasant morning.

People on the street walked and walked. No one dare made eye contact. Occasionally, people would bump into each other, but they pretended nothing happened and moved on.

When I got to the courthouse, I went in. I went to my chambers and sat at my desk. I took the papers from my briefcase and put them on my desk.

The first case of the day was a petty theft. A sixteen-year-old boy stole a Playboy Magazine. Tax dollars were being wasted on a horny teenage boy who just wanted to get a little excited. Great.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I spoke.

My bailiff, Andy, looked in. "Ma'am, they're ready for you."

I nodded. "Thank you."

He nodded and closed the door.

I stopped and went to my coat stand and hung my blazer. Then, I put my black judicial robe on. I zipped it and grabbed the file from my desk. I left the room.

When I got to the court, everyone was standing.

". . . for the Honorable Judge Georgia Monroe." Andy spoke.

I walked in and took my seat.

"You may be seated," Andy spoke.

I set my file down and moved my chair forward. I wasn't going to be there long.

"Okay. Let's get his going," I spoke. I looked at the prosecution. "What are you calling for?"

"30 day probation."

"How does the defendant plea?"

"Guilty, Your Honor," a deep voice spoke.

I looked up.

A blonde sixteen-year-old stood by his lawyer's side. The lawyer looked like he'd been through the ringer himself. Probably appointed by the state to take the case.

"Then, why are we here?"

"My client is a first offender. He shouldn't be under any sort of probation," the defense attorney huffed.