Ch. 34 Reconciliation

The following day, Reed went to work early in the morning. He woke me up to give me a kiss, then he left for the office.

I rolled over and went back to sleep.

When I woke again, I sighed. I hated waking up alone, especially when I had a dream involving Reed. It made everything that was happening seem so unreal. It made our relationship seem like a dream, which left an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I'd wake in a panic, then realize where I was. That was pretty sobering. You can't deny a relationship if you're in the house of your fiancé...unless he was just a figment of your imagination.

Oh, jeez. I was going crazy. I rolled over and groaned.

After a few minutes of laying there like an idiot, I got out of bed and took a hot shower. I needed to relax, to calm down. I needed to breathe.

When I got out of the shower, I slipped into a black lacy pair of panties with a matching bra. I slipped on a black dress. I went to the vanity and did my makeup. I dried and curled my hair. I slipped on heels and went downstairs.

The house was quiet.

I wondered if the housekeeper was there. I knew she would be quiet on purpose. She waned to be out of sight.

I sighed and went to the kitchen.

Nothing looked good. Nothing sounded good.

I had an idea. I couldn't be in court, but I could go do paperwork for cases I'd already done. Yeah, that could occupy me for a few hours. I made a cup of coffee and grabbed my briefcase. I left the house and went to work.

The walk was quiet, but it was nice. It felt like I'd gotten back a piece of me. I walked to work alone every morning before I'd met Reed. It was nice to briefly go back to that; it felt like me.

When I got to work, the guards looked surprised.

"Good morning, Judge," one of them spoke.

"Good morning, Officer."

I went through the scanner and collected my things. I went to my chambers.

My secretary looked up with wide eyes. "Judge Monroe, you're here. How are you feeling? Oh, you should be resting."

"I'm fine, Sue. I'm just insanely bored, so I thought I'd come get some paperwork out of the way."

She nodded.

I went back to my office.

Andy was outside my door. He stood, "Your Honor, what are you doing here?"

"I was bored."

"You need your rest."

"I need to get out of the house."

He nodded. "Everything is just how you left it."

I nodded. I went in my office and sat at my desk. I looked at the documents.

Andy hovered in the threshold.

"Andy, you're hovering."

"I'm not."

I looked at him. "What is it?"

"Nothing, Your Honor."

"Andy, I know you. I can tell something's up. What is it?"

"Greg Pauley's case is going on in Conley's court."

My eyes widened. "What? Why wasn't I called to testify?"