Ch. 61 Milo and Me

When Reed and I went back to Manhattan a couple days later, we became insanely busy. We, yet again, had difficulty making time for each other with such busy schedules.

Work was busy, but it was fast. I'd get home every day around 4:30, eat alone, and go to bed. I hadn't remembered a time I'd gotten  so accustomed to being alone.

On Thursday, I was sitting on the couch, having just gotten back from therapy. I was emotionally drained and tired. My brain and heart hurt.

Reed came in with a box.

I looked at him. "What are you doing home?"

"I got off work early," he smiled.

"Really?" I smiled.

"Really," he smiled, coming over and giving me a kiss. He sat down and smiled, "I got you something."

"Reed-"

"Just open it," he smiled, putting the small box on my legs.

The box was a small 12x12 box. It was pink with a white satin ribbon tying it closed.

I looked at it, then up at him. "Reed-"

"Open it," he smiled.

I looked down at it and pulled the ribbon. I opened the box, not sure what to expect.

When I opened it, I saw a little ball of orange striped fluff. I looked up at Reed. "What's this?"

"Pick it up," he smiled.

"I don't like fake fur stuff. Animals are killed in the process and-"

"Georgia, pick it up," he smiled, rolling his eyes.

I took a breath and went to pick it up.

A little face looked up at me, green eyes searching my face. Little ears stuck up as a light ginger striped chest appeared. It was so tiny and precious. I immediately picked it up in my hands and held it to my chest, putting the box aside.

I looked up at Reed. "A kitten?"

"Yeah," he smiled.

I looked at it, then at him. "Can we keep it?"

"Yeah, of course," he smiled. "He was the runt of the litter, but I got him checked out and he's fine. He already has his shots and Stephens is bringing up the cat supplies as we speak."

"But why?" I asked.

"I wanted you to have a family," he smiled.

My eyes immediately teared up.

The kitten made a noise.

I looked down at him.

Reed kissed my head. "What do you want to name him?"

I ran my fingers through his fur and thought a moment. "How does Milo sound?"

"Purrfect," he smirked.

I giggled and rested my head on his shoulder.

He kissed my head and chuckled, putting a hand on my thigh. "Do you like him?"

"Love him," I smiled. "Do you?"

"I loved him from the moment I saw him. He was in a fenced area near my office. He caught my eye and I paid for him on the spot and took him to a vet. Well, I had to find a vet, but it was worth it. He just looked so small." Reed ran a hand through his fur.

He looked at Reed.

I could feel him purring.

"The vet washed and dried him too. I didn't want to bring him home dirty."