Ch. 29 My World

A month and a half passed.

Reed and I were busy beyond belief. We were always running. We worked like crazy. Everything was crazy. We saw each other at night but that was pretty much it. He barely had any cases in my court, which really sucked. It meant I had to go all day without seeing him.

The threat on my life hadn't been acted upon, but Andy stayed extremely close. He wasn't going to take any risks, which Reed was grateful for.

The excitement over the engagement had died down a bit. Everything was calmer in that aspect.

I hadn't seen Evan since the night he came to Reed's. I didn't want to, but a piece of me wondered if he knew about the engagement. I wondered how he took it and if it would make him finally back off and leave me alone.

I went to court one afternoon.

"All rise for Judge Georgia Monroe," Andy spoke.

They stood.

I went in and sat down in my chair. I took a drink of coffee. "Good afternoon. How does the defendant plea?"

"Not guilty, Your Honor."

I looked at the file. "Okay. Let's get started. Prosecution?"

"Your Honor, the defendant was caught stealing a necklace worth $1,000. I don't even know why we're here."

"Because you can't prove he did it and you know it," Reed snapped. He sounded annoyed.

I looked up. "What kind of defense is that?"

"He said he didn't know why we were here."

I looked at the prosecution. "Do you have anything to prove the defendant did the crime?"

"His fingerprints on the necklace and at the scene. He was the last one they showed the necklace to."

"Not so long ago, I went jewelry shopping. Are you telling me that if I touched a ring that I didn't buy and it went missing, I was the one who stole it?" Reed asked.

"If you were the last one to look at it, yes."

I looked down at my ring and took a drink of coffee. I took some notes.

They argued back and forth for an hour.

I barely got a word in. Finally, I hit my gavel. "Gentlemen, seriously? This isn't a middle school fight."

"My apologizes, Your Honor," Reed spoke.

"Sorry," the prosecutor spoke.

"Okay, now, how does the store know the defendant was the last one to look at it? Do they sign before they look at it or something?"

"No, Your Honor. He was just the last one the staff showed it to."

"A member of the staff could have stolen it," Reed spoke.

"These people have worked at this store for years, Your Honor. They're good people that the owners trust."

"Is there security footage?"

"No, the camera was broken that day."

"Of course it was," Reed mumbled.

"Mr. Robinson," I warned.

He sighed, "I'm sorry, Your Honor. It's just that it's very convenient that the one day my client went into the store, their camera wasn't working."