Ch. 20 Family

The next morning, I woke later than usual. It was around 9:30, but I didn't mind. I'd had such a bad day the day before, I probably needed the rest. I hardly ever slept in. It was so unlike me, so it kind of bothered me. . . at first.

Reed wasn't in bed when I woke up.

I slipped out of bed and put on a fresh bra with matching panties. I slipped on my favorite black trousers and a white tank blouse that had a loose bow at the neck. I curled my hair and did my makeup. I slipped on my black pumps and draped my red blazer on my arm before heading downstairs.

Reed was in the kitchen, reading the newspaper. He took a drink of coffee. He was dressed in black pants and a white button down.

"Been up long?" I asked.

He turned to me. "Not too long. Can I get you some coffee?"

"I can get it, thanks."

He nodded.

I got myself a cup of coffee and took a drink. I turned to him. "Anything interesting in the news today?"

"Nope. The world is still falling apart, so not much has changed."

I nodded. "What time do we need to be at your parents'?"

"We should be there around 5. It gives my mother time to force the maids to move the furniture half a dozen times."

"You're kidding."

"I wish I was."

"Is the rest of your family so well, um, financially set?"

"Yes. We're a fairly wealthy family."

I nodded.

He looked at me a moment. "You don't have to do this. I know yesterday was difficult."

"No, I want to do this. It's another step, right?"

He nodded.

His phone rang.

He looked at it, sighed, and answered, "Hello? What do you want? I can't do that case. You just want me to tag along and take notes for you? Why can't you go? You have a lady over? Of course you do. Listen, Peter, I promised I'd stay away from that case."

I knew right away what he was talking about. I looked at him.

"Peter, she saw it happen. Yes, I know that doesn't mean our firm can't defend him. I know. I just can't get involved."

"You can take notes for him," I spoke.

Reed looked at me, his eyes a little wide. "What?"

"I just don't want you defending him. If Evan goes, you can go. I just-I don't want you on the case. And you have to be careful."

Reed looked at me. "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Okay. Peter, I can take notes for you. When is the meeting? Okay. I'll be there. You owe me. Bye." He hung up and looked at me.

"It's fine. You can't not help your firm. It's not like you personally are defending him in court. And even if you wanted to, you could. I shouldn't stop you and you don't owe me anything. You certainly don't have to lose a client because of me. It just-It hurt with him because we were getting married and he defended the man who killed my mom."

Reed got off his stool and came around the island to me. He took my hands in his. "Georgia, I'm not defending him. Out of respect to you and your father, I won't defend him. Not to mention that the man took the woman who gave me you, and that's unforgivable. It's unjustifiable. You didn't ask me to do anything. I wouldn't have taken it anyway. If it were the last case I could ever work, I wouldn't take the case."