Ch. 60 Wife

On the following Friday, Reed and I drove up to the house in East Hampton. We had a nice drive. It was quiet, just us listening to music and talking the whole way. It was a nice road trip.

When we got to the house, Reed parked and led me in. He carried our bags in and put them in the master bedroom.

I followed him up and looked around the room.

The last time we were there was Memorial Day weekend. It seemed like so far away, but it hadn't been.

The family part was rough. . .when it came to my family. Dad brought Lucy, which made things hell for me. But Reed made it better. Being alone with him was the best.

"Georgia?"

I turned to him.

"Hungry? I thought I'd make us a quick dinner."

"Sounds good," I smiled.

He gave me a kiss and left the room.

I went to the nook in the window and sat down. I carefully rested my head on the wall and looked out of the window, watching the ocean in the distance. It was so peaceful.

After a while, I broke myself from the beautiful view and went downstairs.

Reed was busy in the kitchen, so I put a record on in the living room. I put on a nice jazz album. A saxophone playing filled the room. I smiled and went to the kitchen.

As if on cue, Reed slid me a glass. "Rosé."

I took it and smiled, "Thank you."

He nodded as he cooked.

I sat on a bar stool and watched him cook, drinking my rosé as I did so.

By the time dinner was ready, I'd finished my glass.

He refilled it and led me to the table.

We sat and began eating.

"How was work today?" he asked.

"Fine. I oversaw a couple cases, but I read a lot of case files. That's how the week has been, actually, but it's been okay. I hate seeing over five cases in a day. Things get overwhelming."

He nodded.

"And you?"

"It was okay," he sighed.

"Uh oh. What happened?" I asked, taking a drink.

He took a drink and wiped his mouth with a napkin. He looked at me. "My clients are impatient and the court system is slow. My partner decided he's going to spend his time screwing all of the new female employees. Evan won't talk to me. Louise won't do her job. Melanie doesn't know how to file a simple case."

"Oh, jeez."

He nodded and took a drink of his rosé.

"Isn't what Peter doing bad for business?"

"Of course. It's completely unethical."

"And Evan won't talk to you?"

"He's worried I'll kill him over last Thursday."

I sighed.

"Louise is still just terrible and Melanie doesn't know what the hell is going on anymore--and I can't blame her for that. God. I feel like this firm is going up in flames." He stabbed a piece of carrot and ate it.

"Why don't you change it?" I asked.

"It's too far gone."