Ch. 25 Back Home

The next morning, I woke pretty late, around 10:30.

I dressed in navy slacks and a white button down blouse. I tied my hair back and did my makeup. Then, I went downstairs.

Dad was at the table, drinking coffee and reading the morning paper.

"Good morning," I spoke.

He smiled at me. "Good morning."

I poured myself a cup of coffee. I took a drink.

"Did you sleep well?"

"I did. Did you?"

"I did."

I nodded and sat in front of him. I took a breath.

"Hey, I have to run to work. Do you want to come with me? It might be fun."

"Sure."

When we finished or coffee, we headed over to his firm. When we got there, we went up to his firm's floor.

Angela was at the front desk. "Good morning, Mr. Monroe. Hello, Judge Monroe."

"Hi," I smiled.

She looked to my father.

"Georgia is in town for a few days. She-"

"Harry!" a tall young man with blonde hair and bright green eyes called. He jogged over to us. "Hey, I need your help on a case."

"Okay. Calm down. Is the client here?"

"Yes."

"Lead the way."

We followed the young man to the conference room.

A man in a grey suit was sitting at the table. He had his hands folded on the table in front of him.

"Mr. Hawkins, this is Mr. Monroe, a partner here at our firm."

"It's nice to meet you," Dad spoke, shaking the man's hand.

The man nodded. "Likewise." His eyes wandered to me. "And who are you?"

"She's another legal opinion," Dad spoke.

He nodded.

We went in and sat across from the man.

"So tell me about this case," Dad spoke.

"Well, my ex-fiancé is suing me for emotional damage after I called the wedding off four months before the day."

"And where is your ex?" Dad asked.

"Right here," a woman spoke, stepping in.

"And your counsel?" Dad asked.

Evan stepped in. "I'm sorry we're late. Traffic was rough this morning."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"Well, Reed took some time off and since I know this firm, Peter put me on the case."

"Reed took time off?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, but he didn't say why. I figured he was helping Georgia, but I can see he's clearly not."

"I don't need help," I spoke.

He put his hands up in defense. "I'm sorry. I assumed."

"Just sit down and start talking," Dad snapped.

As they went back and forth, I felt the air becoming more and more toxic. My head was swimming. I couldn't get Reed off my mind.

Why had he taken off work? Was he okay? Was he over me? Would he paint the walls white before I could even get my things? Were we over? What did all of it mean?