Ch. 65 Issues

We had been waiting two hours in the waiting room before a nurse came out to talk to us, and the only thing she said was that they had made a little progress. Of course, it wasn't enough for her to start pushing. She said it was usual of a first birth to take some time before the baby actually came. Although, she did say Renee's water broke, which was a good sign, before she scurried off back down the hall.

"So are you two working things out?" Marie asked.

"What?" Reed asked.

"Mom mentioned you two were separated."

"Oh, I knew this wouldn't last," an aunt spoke.

I sighed.

"We will. We're not separated anymore," Reed spoke.

"That's great," Marie smiled.

Quiet fell upon us. It was an awkward silence; no one knew what to say.

"I'm going to go get a coffee. Anyone want anything?" Reed asked.

Everyone shook their head no.

Reed nodded. He looked at me. "Do you want to come with me?"

"Sure," I sighed, dying to get away from all the hateful, yet curious glares.

He put a hand to my back and ushered me from the group.

We were quiet until we got to the cafeteria, which was a good five minutes from the ward where his family was waiting.

Reed ordered two coffees and handed me one. We fixed them with cream and sugars.

Instead of going back to his family, Reed led me to a table with two chairs. He held the chair until I sat. He pushed me in and sat across from me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"A bit uncomfortable."

"Me too."

"They're your family," I pointed out to him.

"Well, they aren't very understanding."

"Tell me something I don't know," I spoke around a sip of coffee.

We were quiet a moment.

"Renee is about to be a mom. Wow," he spoke, looking deep in thought. "I never imagined she would have a child."

"Really? She seems fairly traditional."

He shrugged. "I guess because she's my sister. It's weird, I guess. It's always just been her and now it's her and her husband and a baby."

"I get what you mean. I can't believe Jen is having a baby. She really doesn't even really care for children, because she spends her days with them. She seems happy though. She and James--they seem happy, very content."

"I'm sure they are."

We were quiet another moment.

"How are we going to get through this?" I asked.

"A lot of hard work, mainly on my end. I-I've let you down, Georgia. I know that. I know I've not been as faithful as I should have been, no matter how intentional, so I'm going to change. I have to change. Divorce can't be the answer. We can't give up so quickly."

"If you're serious about changing, I'll give you time to prove to me that you can. If you can't after a couple of weeks-"

"Then, we'll draft the proper documentation to cease our marriage."

I nodded, relieved he said the words so I didn't have to do it.

"Okay. Two weeks is more than enough time."