Ch. 6 Sick

When I was about finished with the case file, the jury was back. Reed went to his client and I went to court.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" I asked, trying to settle my stomach.

"We have, Your Honor."

The first juror showed me the verdict.

I nodded and handed it back.

He went back to the rest of the jury.

"What say you?"

"We find the defendant not guilty," he spoke.

The prosecution looked huffy.

Ms. Andrews pulled Reed into a tight hug. She kissed his cheek and held him for a moment too long.

"Court adjourned," I spoke and hit my gavel.

I went to my chambers and packed the huge case file into my briefcase. Then, I started to leave.

"Georgia?" Reed spoke.

I looked up.

He looked at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to go home."

"Maybe you shouldn't take that case."

"It's fine. I'm fine. I just-I want to go home and change, okay?"

"I can walk you, if you'd like."

"No, it's fine. You have work to do at your firm, I'm sure."

"Georgia-"

"Text me your address and I'll meet you at your place tonight, okay?"

He nodded. "Okay."

I looked at Andy. "I'm headed out."

He nodded.

I smiled at Reed and stepped out of the office.

As I began my walk home, I had a nasty feeling in my stomach. The case was running itself over and over again in my brain. It wasn't okay. I hadn't even started overseeing the trial and my head was a mess. I was a mess.

When I got home, I went in and went to my room. I changed out of my dress and into light wash boyfriend jeans and a lavender tee shirt. I slipped on black flats and tied my hair in a ponytail. Then, I went downstairs.

Jen and Dad were on the couch, watching TV.

I walked in and sat down.

"You okay?" Jen asked.

"I got this case and I literally look like all the victims."

"What happened to them?"

"Brutal rape and murder."

"Got the case file?" Dad asked.

I got it and handed it to him.

"Oh, God. This is awful."

I nodded. "A coworker got it and gave it to me, said he was the type of person who took his work home with him. He said I was cold and he thought I could handle it."

Dad sighed.

"And Reed won his case. Then, accepted an extremely long hug and kiss on the cheek from his whorish client."

"Yikes. You've had quite the day," Jen spoke.

"And he's falling in love with me," I spoke, gripping a pillow to my chest. I looked up at her. "He told me so in my chambers."