Ch. 13 Hurt

The next afternoon, I went to Reed's office. I needed to speak with him about a case. I actually needed to speak with him about a case, because I needed a second opinion on how crazy the case I'd been given to oversee was.

I went to the firm.

The secretary wasn't there.

Evan came from the conference room and looked at me. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I needed an opinion on a case. Is Reed in?"

"Yeah, I think so. Anything I can help with?"

"Uh, no, not yet anyway. Thanks."

"No problem. I'll be in my office if you change your mind."

I nodded.

I went down the hall to Reed's office. I knocked.

"Give me a minute!" he called. His voice was strained and heavy with something I couldn't quite identify.

I waited a couple moments.

"Okay. Come in!" he called.

I went in.

His eyes widened. "Oh, hi. I wasn't expecting you."

A woman sat in front of his desk. She was blonde. I could tell she was well dressed. She sat tall.

"I needed an opinion on a case, but I can-I can ask someone else. I didn't realize you were with a client."

His tie was messed up and his shirt was a little unbuttoned. His hair was messed up.

"No, it's okay. We're just briefing before court this afternoon. Is Albright in a good mood?" he asked, his voice hoarse.

"I think so." I noticed the lipstick on his cheek. "What's going on here?"

"I told you, we're briefing for court," he spoke.

"Really? Because that lipstick on your cheek really isn't your color."

He wiped his cheek. "Georgia-"

"You know what? The case can wait. I have to get back to work." I was trying not to get choked up. I needed to get out of there.

"Georgia, wait. I-"

I left the room and went to wait for the elevator. It wouldn't come. I waited and waited. Nothing.

Reed came over. "Georgia, please, let me explain."

"You don't owe me an explanation. You don't owe me anything. And I-I was stupid to think that you actually loved me. I was stupid to think that you gave a damn about me."

"I do. Georgia, I love you. I-"

"What you did in there tells me otherwise. Save me the lecture and just stop talking. Stop moving. Hell, stop breathing!" I retorted.

His eyes widened a little. He went to grab my hand.

I moved away from him. "I can't do this. I have court."

"Georgia-"

I turned and walked away. I took the stairs, taking them two at a time.

When I got downstairs, I went outside. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. I just knew I had to get away from there. 

So I ran. I ran to the courthouse and went to my office.

Dad was sitting in a chair.

"Dad, hi."

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. I'm fine."

"Georgia, what is it?"