28

Moe and Kling were sitting right in front of Lindsey and Kelley. 

A few days ago, they noticed a serious change in Kelley's attitude : she wasn't always smiling and being the goofy one on the team anymore. She seemed conflicted most of the time, and sad sometimes. Since all three of them were her fiends, they decided to break the ice.

- Kels, we need to talk, Kling said carefully.

- Yeah ?

- Maybe you're the one that wants to talk to us, actually, Lindsey said. We know you need your friends right now, so we're here.

- Thanks guys, but I'm fine ! Kelley said, as she was giving them her best smile. I just feel weird sometimes, it's maybe because of the whole suicide thing.. She's been gone for a month now. Funny how time flies.

Lindsey pulled her into a small hug. But Moe didn't want this conversation to end :

- If you need anything ; and by anything I mean everything, we're here for you. And Hope surely is there too.

- You're not alone, Kling added.

- Thanks. Love you guys.

They group hugged, all smiling. Kelley was in high spirits : she decided she wouldn't let anything on the way of her happiness. Even if she had to ignore Allie for the rest of camp, she was gonna spend some amazing time with her friends, and let go of this strange obsession with a certain midfielder.

When she got in the balcony, she saw Alex and Hope talking nearby. Kelley heard her name. Surprised, she hid behind a wall, listening to whatever they were saying.

- ... definitely unhealthy, Alex was saying. She can't have her, I mean I've known her for years now and she's not into relationships, whether it's a boy or a girl !

- I know, but maybe, and only maybe, Kelley is falling for her. If the feeling is not mutual, than the other part of the duo has to be honest ! I don't wanna see Kels suffer. She's a good girl.

- She's my friend too, remember ? Alex said. But Allie is like my sister. I don't want her to feel trapped. I think she only likes Kelley in a friendly way. 

The brunette's heart seemed to stop. She knew deep inside that Alex was right ; she'll never be able to call Allie hers. "Wait, you're not in love with her dummy. Just forget about all that and keep on living your life !" she thought. But she wanted to hear the end of their little talk, so she remained still.

- Allie would never hurt her. She has a way too heavy past behind her to hurt anyone, Alex said, absent-minded. She looks solid, but she isn't that of a cold-hearted girl in real life. She's raised walls to protect her. And I don't think she'll ever let someone see past through them.

- I guess you're right, Hope nodded. Carli always says that no matter how strong our brain is, it can't resist true love.

- Carli said that ? Alex asked, a smirking face on. I wonder in which context.

Kelley could easily imagine Hope blushing.

***

Julie came back the following day. Her and Zach had been spending time together. Jill allowed her to take a little break, saying to the team that she was stressed out about her wedding. But the truth was that, no matter how much she loved Zach, she was feeling more and more doubt every day. The kiss she and Christen exchanged at the party - while the defender wasn't drunk - rang a bell. She truly felt something deep towards the dark-haired girl. And she didn't like that at all.

Julie could hardly imagine herself coming home and tell her parents : hey guys, I dumped Zach for my soulmate. PS : it's a girl. Impossible. She couldn't afford to tear her family apart. Of course they loved her, but their faith was stronger that everything.

Julie has always been a believer, but in the present time, she was lost. Why did God made her feel that for Christen ? Was he putting her into some kind of test or something ? She didn't understand anymore. Her faith was strong, but her feelings for the forward were too. Why couldn't she just concile both, so that everybody would be happy ?

She stepped in the eating room, and all her teammates were staring at her, except Christen. Julie hasn't been answering her phone, or any text from her. She just couldn't without crying.

She sat next to Pinoe.

- Hey cinnamon roll number one, how are you doing ? We've heard about your pre-wedding stress.

- Definitely better, Julie lied, a fake smile on her lips. What did I miss ?

- Well, Ash and Ali finally kissed in public to make it official, she said, winking at the couple. Car and Hopey made up. And oh, Pressy seemed to have missed you since she was looking sad and didn't talk to anyone in three days.

- O-okay, Julie replied.

"Don't look at her." she thought, cursing herself for not being able to leave Christen in her pain state. She finally just peaked, but the forward had her eyes locked on her food.  "Damn, she looks so good." Feeling dizzy all of a sudden, Julie knew she had to talk to Christen. She felt the urge to do so, because knowing that she was the reason why she was sad made her feel terrible. Christen was her friend for years now, and she wasn't ready to let her go. 

She got up and walked straight at Christen. The green-eyed girl looked up and saw what Julie intended to do. Both of them went out of the room, going for a little walk. After several minutes of an oppressive silence, they sat up on a bench, facing the see. Julie wasn't sure how to begin ; Christen admitted her feelings towards her in her last text, and now Julie wanted her more than anything, more than before. 

She took a deep breath.

- Sorry for my lack of answer to your texts, Julie said shyly. I-I... uhm, read them all. I just wanted you to know that I still wanna be friends with you, no matter what happened. I know you wouldn't have... uhm... kissed me if you were sober.

Christen was feeling a lot of shame inside of her. She blushed, without looking at Julie. The blonde bit her lower lip. 

- My point is that I don't wanna loose you, Christen. I need you in my life. But if you don't wanna be any near me, I understand...

- No ! Christen exclaimed, raising her voice. 

She realized that her answer was very awkward, so she took a deep breath and said :

- Forget about all the bad stuff I did, or wrote, and let's be friend again, she said. I can't stand you hating me, Jules. You're so important to me. 

- Thank God, Julie sighed. 

She then pulled Christen into a small hug, ignoring the butterflies on her stomach. Their friendship was back on track.