40

- Mewy, wait, Emily called up.

She's been trying to spend a little moment alone with Sammy, in order to apologize for her behavior the night before. The blonde was finally in front of her, walking away from her faster and faster every step. She finally stopped her by catching her arm with her hand. The blonde rolled over, looking at her friend with innocent eyes.

Emily's heart seemed to melt for a sec.

- I'm sorry about yesterday, I don't know why I said what I said, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or something. The whole "you're my style" thing was a kinda joke, don't mind it. Just forget it, actually. I don't want you to get mad at me because of some stupid thing, Sammy. Let me take you out for dinner for forgiveness. You can invite anyone you want. I mean, if you still want to be my friend or...

- Ok.

The defender looked at her in shock. She wasn't able to read Sammy like an open book ; it was quite the opposite, actually. She was so strange and unpredictable that Emily didn't know how to understand her actions.

- Ok ? Emily repeated slowly.

- Yah, why not ?

Emily was speechless. She just looked at the blonde, who was acting like if it wasn't a big deal after all, even though she yelled at her last night. Seeing Emily's surprised face, Sammy bit her lower lips (probably out of clumsiness) and let a small smile appear on her lips.

- I mean, it's not like we were lovers that got mad with each other, right ? she added.

- Right, Emily repeated, trying to be persuasive.

But she never knew who she wanted to persuade : Sammy or herself. She just looked at her friend with a neutral face on.

- We better get going, or Steph and Linds may make up some crazy theory like the one from yesterday evening.

- Yah, definitely.

***

Julie was sitting in the dark, facing the ocean. She could hear the sound of the waves crushing on the rocks. The sound of her bachelorette party was being heard, even though she was 20 miles away from the actual party. Becky's words were filling her mind, and since she saw Christen coming in the room dressed in a beautiful red dress, she wasn't able to control herself. She tried to think about Zach instead, but every time she was questioning her feelings for him, the green-eyed girl's face was appearing in her mind.

She was right. I might be in love with Christen. Those two sentences were driving Julie crazy : she knew she couldn't take the risk to leave Zach (a good man) and loose her family (homophobic people) to be with Christen. Not only for her own good, but also for Christen's safety : Julie would be sad about loosing her family, and Christen would feel guilty of tearing her family apart. This is all so messed up. Why did I even met her in the first place ? It's not like soulmates were a real thing. She took her head between both of her hands.

She decided to go back to the party. She found Kelley and HAO, who were already drunk. Julie took three shots of vodka in a row, and joined them on the dance floor. She noticed that Kelley wasn't as crazy as usual, and that her eyes were locked on the Three Amigas. Probably some friendship problem, never mind, I'll ask her tomorrow, Julie thought. HAO was on the edge of her dancing skills, while Pinoe and Steph joined them.

Pinoe got closer to Julie, and whispered in her ear :

- Christen is waiting just outside that door, she wanted to speak to you.

Julie suddenly felt dizzy. She was way too drunk to have a normal conversation. Besides, she was fall for Christen even more, like every time she sees her and knows that she couldn't be with her. But she thanked Pinoe and went all the way outside, another drink in her hand. Christen was indeed waiting outside, sitting on a small wall by the sand. Julie joined her, forcing herself not to get flirty or too touchy with her best friend. She couldn't afford to feel Christen's lips on hers, since she knew it wouldn't work anyway.

The forward didn't move a bit.

- So, how's the wedding going, Christen asked in a confident tone.

It surprised JJ, who practically chocked on her glass.

- Good, Zach and I are very excited.

Keep it straight, Johnston, or go to Hell. She just looked up and saw Christen biting her lower lips, which meant that she knew something important, and was going to play with that card for a long while.

- Really ? Christen insisted. I mean, how's the wedding really doing ?

- Ok, Christen, now you'll tell me what's up with you tonight, you're kind of a party pooper.

- Do you love him ? she asked.

Julie's eyes went wide. This is the end of me. I can't even. She returned her serious look, taking another sip of her drink. Christen definitely knew something compromising, and also knew that her friend was drunk. This is all part of a fucking plan. Damn.

- Yah, Julie said. Chris, don't go there please...

- Why not ?

- Because I can't fight right now... I'm drunk, you're taking advantage of me. Plus, you know my wedding is in a few days, so don't make things complicated, and go back to that damn party, Julie said sharply.

But Christen wasn't the kind to listen to orders.

- You know deep down you're marrying the wrong person, Christen murmured.

- Who should I marry, then ? Uh ?

There was a little silence.

- You ? Julie asked, smirking.

Christen was a little bit hurt, but didn't say anything. She just looked at her best friend for a moment, before her lips were moved by a shy smile.

- No. I mean, we could have tapas together one day, and maybe a small flat. Simple things, you know. Marriage is for old people, Jules, you know that deep down.

- Even though your charms are kinda working, I want you to know that nothing will happen between us. I'm marrying Zach.

- Fine.

Christen got up and leaned in slowly. She put a small kiss in the edge of Julie's lips. The blonde shivered, but didn't know what to do. She just froze and saw Christen walking towards the door, before saying in a serious tone :

- I won't wait forever, Julie.