30

"Great. Why me?" 

Allie was standing still, quickly joined by Kelley. Jill had chosen pairs to spend the day together, in order to know each other better. Since her and the brunette were the only ones remaining, she put them together. The blonde midfielder wasn't very happy with that decision but didn't say anything. She didn't want Kelley to think that she hated her. As a matter of fact, Allie was kinda concerned about her own safety ; Kelley was talking way too much space in her thoughts. They remained silent, as the head coach was telling them what to do. Basically, they had to drive to a national park and then walk on the sand. It wasn't very elaborate, but the blonde would've rather stayed to the hotel than spend the day outside. 

Since she didn't have a choice, she and Kelley got on her car, that the team staff have lent them, and Allie drove all the way to the beach. They only exchanged a few words, leading to repetitive awkward silences. Allie was feeling dizzy ; she wasn't a really talkative person, and she didn't know how not to be awkward around Kelley. The only people that made her feel good were Tobin and Alex, because they had known her for years now. Kelley added herself to the mix later. Actually, it was Alex that introduced her to Kelley. Allie just escaped from a uncomfortable situation, and now she has heading into another one. 

As they were walking, Kelley's hand touched Allies, and they exchanged a long look, before both sightly blushing. The light brunette decided to break this silence by saying :

- I, um, like your shorts. 

Allie looked at her, half-amused, half-panicked. She was wondering why Kelley was complimenting her, although she avoided her for days. She didn't answer, her attention caught by a happy family with two kids running in front of them. Kelley was looking down, embarrassed. She regretted to have spoken out loud. 

They came across some fans, and took photos with them. Then, when they finally were alone, Allie turned to face Kelley. Realizing she was standing on her was and had stopped walking, the blonde just shivered ; Kelley's eyes were planted in hers. 

- I'm sorry for behaving like this, Allie said finally, looking down at her feet. I'm not good with, you know.. people. 

- With people or just with me ? Kelley asked with a sharp voice. 

Allie sighed. She knew she had to talk about her past if she wanted Kelley to understand. She took a deep breath, Kelley looking at her with concern in her eyes. 

- When I was fifteen, my father beat my mother to death, she said in a low voice. When the police arrested him, I was afraid that he would one day go out of jail and come back for me. He threatened me with letters, in which he told me I was nobody, a mistake, and that I was the family's biggest shame. I went in foster homes all across the country, before finding my last adoptive mother, who had issues with alcohol. I didn't know that at the time. One night, she got mad because I was hanging out with some girls after soccer practice, and she beat me as well. I was too scared to talk to someone, besides I hardly had any friends. I was eighteen when I finally had the courage to run away. I moved in the Morgans house, since she was my closest friend with Tobin. 

She took a little break. Kelley had her mouth opened, in shock. 

- I've always lived on my own, trusting no one except for Tobs and Lex. It became harder and harder to be around people, without fearing they'd hurt me. So, at the age of 22, as I was heading home after class, a black car was following me. My dad was here, and attacked me. I nearly died. I would have, if it wasn't for this man that was walking on the street in the exact moment when I was attacked. When I recovered from concussion, only Alex and Tobin were by my side. 

The Georgia girl had tears growing in her eyes ; she couldn't believe that Allie was really opening up to her, and that she went through so much. She certainly was one of the only people to know about the blonde's past. She wondered why she was telling her all that, but she didn't interrupted her. Allie was looking at her now. 

- But those past few months, I got to know you. I didn't know I would be so afraid to become closer to you, to become your... friend. (She hesitated on this particular word) Kelley, you have to understand that I don't do friendships and relationships because I don't wanna get hurt again. I'm fed up with all those people that betrayed me. 

- Sorry to ask, but where's you father right now ? 

- Jail, again. 

The brunette couldn't stand Allie being so sad. "Poor thing, she's terrified, traumatized. And now, I can't say anything that might help her. What a terrible friend I am." Kelley thought. She reached the midfielder's hand with a little hesitation, and squeezed it. Allie's blue gaze fell into Kelley's brown eyes, and she let a small smile appear on her face. Kelley wanted to tell her how much she cared about her, and how she was willing to protect her from everyone, how she could be the person she could trust right now. But she didn't say anything, because she felt like her look would speak better than words would. 

They stood here for several minutes, just looking at each other, before Allie broke their contact. She then began to walk on the sand, removing her shoes from her feet. Kelley quickly imitated her, feeling like she had to say something. 

- Thanks for sharing your story with me. You can trust me, Allie. 

The blonde didn't answer, lost in her thoughts. Kelley knew it wasn't going to change things, because Allie would always be scared of others. But maybe, and only maybe, she will be able to change her mind, to help her forget what the others did to her. Kelley just wanted to protect her with her arms, and make her feel her body pressed on hers. 

Allie finally looked down at her.

- I'm sorry, she said in a sad tone. I can't be the person you want me to be. 

- I understand, Kelley murmured.

But her head was screaming. At that very moment, she knew that she wasn't gonna give up on Allie, spending every day by her side to make her feel like she can trust her, that she would never ever hurt her. That maybe Kelley was somehow Allie's life-changer.