chres

"Why you letting the Devil beat you out your soul?" ~ Lupe Fiasco

Standing in Georgia's living room with just about everybody in her family made me nervous. Only time I'm nervous is with my father. They all were looking at me, I am a stranger but they didn't have to stare.

Her mother, father, and grandfather eyed me like there was no tomorrow. I didn't know what to do but stand there under their watch.

Her mother finally was the one to speak.

"What's your name again, sweetie?"

"Chresanto August, I moved here a few months ago." She shook my hand giving me a warm smile.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Gi's mother, Fawn, that's her father, Rayan, and her Grandpa, Bo. You wanna tell us what happened to her?" Her mother asked while her father went over to Georgia observing her ankle.

"We ran into each other on the trail and she fell down hard. I just offered to help her, take her to the hospital or something but she just wanted to come home." I looked at Georgia letting out some tears and I didn't want to see any of them. "I'll go so you all can take her there."

"No, Chresanto you can come with us, right Ma?" Georgia whined as she wiped her tears.

Her grandfather was over by the door chuckling at this. I would too but I'm right in the middle of the awkwardness. Her father's glares were getting nastier and nastier. It was even getting harder for me to not even look at Georgia.

"Baby, he probably has things to do." Her father said annoyed.

"No he don't. Malik's house not that important."

I didn't know how but an argument and a car ride later I'm in the waiting room with her father staring at the side of my face. His stares reminded me of Georgia when she was mad at nothing.

I was going against everybody even being near Georgia for this long. This could really hurt her. It was something that was constantly pulling me to her. I can't even stay away from her. Plus the girl hurt now. Physically and emotionally. All because of me and my choice of words. They say when you're drunk you tell the truth, like it just comes out of you. But I didn't mean it in a way to hurt her feelings.

She was probably crying. Georgia crying isn't pretty at all.

I just had to let everyone get inside my head telling me to leave her alone. Even if it was for her own good. I swear if I could drop all of the bullshit today then I would. Being that my father runs every damn thing I can't.

I can't be with Georgia.

I can't be me.

"What's your name again?" Her father asked not even trying to sound interested.

"Chresanto August."

"Where your parents at?" He opened up a magazine that was on an end table by him.

"My mother is dead and my father at work."

"Sorry to hear that. Where does your father work?"

"Why are you questioning me? I only came because Georgia was whining about me being here. Not for you to pick and pry about some shit you don't care about." I sat back folding my arms trying to control my anger.

"You could have told her no. It ain't hard." He shrugged.

"Just like how you tell her no to dating and shit. Well guess the hell what she growing the fuck up. That's what she going to do. Date. Probably fuck the right guy. Maybe bunch of other shit behind your back. You want to know why it's going to be behind your back, because she can't talk to you and be straight up about her feelings to any of y'all. Her and Bryson talk way more than I ever heard her talk to y'all. I'm seventeen but I know when I have a daughter she won't be stuck up my ass all the time. It's called growing the hell up." I shrugged also.