"The way he looked at her, is the way all girls want to be looked at." ~ F. Scotts Fitzgerald

"The kids been asking for you. I keep telling them you'll be back, but they want proof your ass really coming." My father said while he loaded my bags into the trunk of his car.

"Please don't tell me you told them I would come today." I asked.

Daddy shrugged then closed the trunk.

"Daddy, are you fucking kidding me. I've been around dammit bigger versions of kids for the last four and a half months."

"Stop cussing Gi. An hour." He said getting in the car so I went to the passenger side to get in. "Give it an hour."

Looking at my father I couldn't help it. I just reach for his hair and pulled that shit until I felt each strand detach from his head.

"Gi." I looked at my hand and didn't see anything in my hands except my phone. "An hour won't kill your black ass, okay? It's been forever since they've seen you."

"And? Daddy I'm tired." Pouting was worth a try.

"You going." He said as he continued to drive with his phone in his hand.

The last time he was texting almost killed us both. Nigga ain't nobody tryna die in the car with you. Then when he threw his phone down in the center console I saw who he was texting. Him and and Uncle Cole were sending each other gifs from their games. Really, how old are y'all?

We got to the community center and Daddy was quick to say "oh you better smile too." I don't like these little crumb snatchers. They always wanna play in my hair and boys twelve and up take pictures of my ass when I'm helping someone. Little perverts in the making.
Something felt off. Soon as I get out the car I wasn't greeted by the little girl who stays to my hip. Whenever she finds out I'm coming she waits at the door until she sees me in the parking lot.

I don't know what's going on. All I know is I better be able to go home in an hour.

We got to the door and it was locked so Daddy was fumbling with his keys to unlock it.

"I thought you said the kids wanted to see me. Why does it look like abandoned in there?" I questioned him.

"'Cause they in the yard." He opened the door. 

He held it open for me, then went I wouldn't move he pushed me inside by the back of my head. I was too busy trying to fight that I didn't notice the lights and the screams of surprise come from everyone.

Somehow or another me and my father were going at on the floor. He had my ponytail so I bit his arm and kicked him. Can't have no more babies now. He fell to the and he kicked my knee making me fall. I popped him right in his face then hopped on him. We were like a bunch kids rolling around on the floor.

"Aye aye, I told you do not provoke her Ray." My mother yelled at him while she tried to grab me.

"Get off my niece nigga, damn." Uncle Bryson pulled him but I had his hair in my grips.

"Gi, let it go. What I tell you? Real niggas don't pull hair." Uncle Cole pried my fingers out of it and took hold of me after my mother gave up.

"Act y'all got some sense in front of all these people." Grandpa Bo yelled from somewhere.

I fixed my ponytail and whatever else I felt like was out of place. He always doing some shit.

"Let's try this again." Mommy smile as she went back through the crowd of people.

She came back quicker than expected with a cake with candles in it. I don't know why they're doing all of this honestly. I'm only back for Thanksgiving. They acting like I graduated with my masters or something.