Chapter 17

Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half of their greatness goes unnoticed. It is all part of the fairytale.~Peter S. Beagle

Dedicated to o_author in honor of Best Friend's Day in the U.S. You're the greatest best friend ever, and remember, stabby stabby!

Dylan

So the myth of things getting worse and then better is total bullshit. Just throwing that out there.

Gemini's attacks were getting more and more frequent, and it was getting pretty hard to keep up with them. So far, Black Hawk and I weren't exactly doing a standup job stopping them, and our track record isn't exactly stellar.

But no one died, So that counts for something, right? Gods, when you start thinking like that, you know you have to step up your game.

Siena was in her therapist's office, and I was chilling with Jake in the library. What? Don't buy into stereotypes.

"Hey, have you read this one?" Jake asked, tossing me a book, which I catch with ease.

I examined the cover. Lady Midnight, by Cassandra Clare. "No. I've read all her other books though. I'll take it."

As we walked to the checkout, Jake lowered his voice and asked, "How's it going with you-know-who?"

I gave him a confused look. "I wasn't aware I was working with Voldemort." I deadpan.

Jake shoved me. "You know who I mean."

"Actually, are you talking about who I'm working with, or the people who I'm working against?"

As the lady scanned the book, Jake said. "The first one."

I groaned and rubbed my eyes, picking up the book and giving him a tired glance. "She's driving me insane. We cannot agree on anything."

"Like what?"

"You wanna here what happened yesterday? Fine." I said, starting the car.

"So there this jewel heist right, and these criminals are honestly so cliche sometime. I think they got most of their ideas from an Agatha Christie book." I chuckled.

"Basically, they steal a jewel and set the sprinklers on. Now, I want to stop the water from ruining the 12 million dollar paintings, but Black Hawk wants to go after Gemini. And she does not want to agree with me. So she spends like seventeen hours arguing with me instead of going after the criminals, and by the time that she manages to breathe from her rant, they've gotten away.

Now, at this point there's no point in going after the criminals, so we stop the water from ruining the paintings, which was fairly easily. Then, she takes it upon herself to start screaming at me about how if I had just agreed with her in the first place, we wouldn't be in this situation and they wouldn't have gotten away."

Jake sighed. "Let me guess, you started arguing with her."

"What else was I supposed to do?" I defended myself. "Those paintings were really expensive, and they mean a lot to some people. And even if we did go after Gemini, I don't think we would have been able to catch them. 2 is not the brightest when it comes to being evil, but 1 is a scary mastermind."

Jake raised an eyebrow. "Did you manage to get out of there without making out?"

I nearly slammed into the stop sign as I hit the brakes. "What?"

He smirked. "You heard me. You manage to get out of there without making out? Anyone can see the tension between you two. How you work together without kissing each other is beyond me."