Chapter 34

I don't personally believe that villains exist. Villains are just a way of saying that somebody has an opposing conviction~Ryan Reynolds

Dedicated to who other than the lovely CimerianSparrow, literally 75% of the reason I'm writing this. Thank you for the feedback and the awesome AF comments, this one's for you.

Siena

Girls, if a boy ever comes and hits on you, and doesn't back away when you say no, very firmly, please kick him firmly in the nuts. You have the full support of me. To most men, girls are not very appreciated, or even respected. Do you know the difficulty my mother has had whenever she had a higher job position that some of her male counterparts, yet she was less paid?

To men, girls are nothing more than objects. Repeatedly, I have seen men treat women like crap. Often, whenever I'm at a party, and a guy hits on a girl, she's very uncomfortable. Dylan often has to come in and pretend to be that girl's boyfriend to get the guys to back off. And only then will he back off. It's a serious problem in society when males respect the competition for a female rather than the actual person they are trying to get with.

It's just how many men don't view women as more than things they can just casually objectify and stare at, without even thinking about what they are really like.

I stumbled along, trying to avoid crying my eyes out. This was horrible. I wasn't that into him, but I didn't expect him to be such a crappy person. It seemed like ever since this whole thing started, I had become so much more emotional and attached.

And for the first time in my life, I wondered if that was such a bad thing.

The dark alleyway wasn't lit at all, and it was the worst time of the year to be alone. Just a routine sweep of the city on New Year's Eve, no girl is going to be expecting to see her ex-boyfriend making out with another girl. Yeah, right. This was officially the worst day of my life.

I stood up and took a deep breath, composing myself. I had to meet Warrior to switch off patrol areas in five minutes. I better get going. I fired up my energy blast and formed a series of dark matter steps, which I used to scale up the side of the building in the alley that I was in. Standing on the roof, I recognized where I was and how far away.

I quickly ran, jumping over the gaps in buildings easily, dodging items on the roofs with ease. Soon, I reached the meeting point.

"Hey." He said.

I nodded at him as I rushed past and stood on the edge of the building, waiting for him to tell me where to go.

"Hey." He said, coming over. "What's wrong?"

I clenched my hands into fists and stared at the ground. "Nothing." I said, my voice slightly strained.

He frowned, obviously picking up on this. Grabbing my wrist, he sat down and gently pulled me down with him. I sighed, taking a seat next to him, my legs dangling over the edge of the building.

"Look, I'd have to be an idiot to not realize that something is going on with you." He said, his voice low, like he was telling me a secret.

"But you are an idiot." I said, shocked, a smile twitching at my lips.

He rolled his eyes and said, "Seriously, what's up?"

I glanced down at my hands and propped my chin up. "Shouldn't we be out on patrol?" I asked him. "We need to protect the city."

He scoffed. "Since when have you cared about that? Plus, this city can live without us for a bit. I highly doubt Gemini's going to pull something on New Year's."