Chapter 60

What seems good turns bad, what seems bad turns good. It is an endless cycle.~Brenda Shoshanna

Dedication: I honestly don't know how I could ever express my gratitude for this person, but I'm going to try. For herondale924, you are my best friend, and you are so amazing. I dedicate the final chapter to you. Keep being amazing and inspiring. I love you!

Dylan

They say those who are true monsters are not the ones with the odd body, or the ones out of a book. They are those who hide behind a mask of kindness, those who cover themselves in kind words and fake promises. Masks lie. Masks deceive. And masks hide, even when we're not wearing them. They destroy relationships and cause people to lie about who they are, the one thing they should never do. The snakes who masquerade as a rope. But what about the other side? About the snakes who make themselves so to hide their hearts of gold? The guns who are really fireworks. The enemies who care for you more than fake friends. Is that a thing? Can people truly be good? Can they help?

Life is not made up of black and white. Life is not made up of gray either. Life is a brilliant rainbow, a Picasso painting splattered with black and green and umber and fuschia and vermilion and lavender and honeydew and thistle and timberwolf and sage and viridian and cyan. The lines of the portrait are not clean. They are hasty, messy, blurred outlines done by charcoal, smeared and faded. The objects are not perfect either. The vase is cracked, the flowers wilting, their stems drooping in sadness over the rim. But behind that, you can see the sun. The swirls of bright colors that gleam like a candle in the night.

Friendship. Friendship is what makes life an adventure. Think about all the books you've read. All the movies you've seen. No one got anywhere without help. No one did anything alone. It is not possible to do anything alone. Life is friendship, and friendship is life. But not for all. For some, there is no life, for there is no friendship.

I stared in horror at the building. It's a mess of rubble. Thankfully, it's just one block, and we've managed to evacuate most of the civilian people. It's just us. Me and Calli and Jake and Black Hawk. Who betrayed me. Who was working with Gemini the whole time. I expected rage to flood through my body, overtake my thinking capacity. The hate to become a controller. But, nothing. It's too exhausting to hate on her right now. I'm simply disappointed and hurt. Of course I am angry. But I simply don't have to energy to hate.

I stared at her, then looked back. Gemini was gone, probably so I could take him what had just happened.

"It was her." Jake whispered, staring at me. "It was her all along. She was a double agent." His brown hair is streaked with white powder from the building; it makes him look fifty years older, coupled with the weary lines in his face.

"No." Calli shook her head. "No. It can't be."

"How can you be so sure?" Jake asked wearily. "How do you know. It's quite obvious. I mean, Gemini themselves told us." He rubbed his hand over his face, and for the first time since we met, not a hint of happiness shows on it.

"I know because I know her. Remember her hotline? When you call it? I operate that. I'm that girl." She admitted. At this, I whirled around.

"What?" I yelled, my mind reeling with the confession.

"Yeah." Calli confessed. "Imagine my shock when I found out you were Warrior, Dylan."

I grabbed her shoulders and shook her. "Did you tell her?"

"Who?" Calli asked, roughly shoving my hands off her shoulders. "Black Hawk? Or Siena? Because I didn't tell either. But I know Black Hawk would never do anything like this. There's no way." She pursed her lips and stared thoughtfully at the figure of Black Hawk who was now staring right back at us, making no move to attack. She looked as though she was fighting with something in her head.