Chapter 40

Wanna know how I got these scars?~Joker

Dedication: For a wonderful supporter, sweetkins7, for a wonderful comment that you left on one of my chapters today. It was so nice of you, thank you so much! <3

Siena

Discovering a dead body is not something that I would say would be very high on my to-do list for the day. I mean, I'm not going to go all CSI on the thing, but dead bodies never freaked me out too much. I just necessarily didn't like them. The worst part is when you discover yourself lying next to the body. And you have no idea how you got there. And how she's dead.

Yeah, my situation is not ideal. At least I can be somewhat sure of one thing. I didn't kill him. I think.

My eyes snapped open, and I was breathing heavily. For a moment I just laid there, staring at the sky and trying to get my brain the comprehend where I was. Then, the sharp pebbles poking into the material of my shirt and my back became too troublesome, and I rolled over.

And came face to face with a dead body.

I scrambled back in surprise, staring at the body. I covered my fingers with the material on my shirt and pressed two fingers against the skin of her arm. Judging by the amount of rigor mortis, the body had been dead for only a few hours.

I stared at the body, trying to decipher clues as to who it was. It was a woman, about twenty-five years old. She had black hair strewn around her hair, and her brown eyes were bloodshot and wide open. She looked to be of Indian descent.

No obvious evidence of foul play, but her lips were blue, and her entire demeanour just freaked me out. I stared at her in horror. Did I kill her?

I stared at my hands in horror. They weren't covered in blood, but that wasn't an automatic indicator that I hadn't killed her. I checked her neck, and there was no signs of bruising, or even the slightest abrasion on the skin. So she probably wasn't strangled. More and more, this seemed to be looking like a poisoning.

I hadn't touched the body with any of my fingers, and made sure to keep them covered at all times.

I couldn't stay here. I had to leave. But looking at this woman, in an alley in New York, I decided I couldn't leave her there. I pulled out my phone and snapped a few pictures of her face. I was going to run it through facial recognition, try and see who I was dealing with.

I carefully walked out of the alleyway, looking both ways to make sure no one was there. It was pretty abandoned, which made me believe that there were no security cameras. I carefully stepped out and made my way to the nearest pay phone there was.

I dialed three digits.

"911 operator. What's your emergency?"

"I just discovered a dead body on the corner of 97th and Park." I breathed, keeping a hand on the phone and looking straight at the numbers, so I wouldn't seem suspicious.

"Excuse me- ma'am-" I hung up and left the pay phone immediately. I didn't want to be there when the paramedics and police came. I wiped down the pay phone so that my fingerprints wouldn't be left, and exited the booth.

But instead of leaving, like I should have, I stayed. I climbed up one of the buildings that was on the side of the alleyway and looked down, making sure to keep myself as hidden as possible. This would be much easier if it were night.

Soon the sounds of sirens pierced the air, and flashing red and blue lights came into my vision. I crouched down even more, keeping quiet and out of sight.