Chapter 53

It's not about who's got powers, morons. It's about who's not afraid. And who's going to do what has to be done.~ Michael Grant, Gone

Dedication: To letmebethequeen for the fantastic votes and comments she has been leaving on all my chapters! Thank you so much, the support is appreciated!

Dylan

To say that I was a nervous wreck for today would be a huge understatement. The one of the century. It would be like saying that Harry Potter  was just a book series, or that JK Rowling was just an author. Simply things that are understated and false.

It was quite odd, for only last week, I was living with my best friend, and now, I was meeting up with her to see if anything wrong had been going on. There was too much for me to handle, just being part of this secret with Black Hawk, and I suppose I had to take some of the blame when we drifted apart. I probably had pushed too much. Siena was the type of person who didn't like sharing things, and I had pushed her too much. I had to learn to respect that, which I hadn't been doing very well lately.

Some best friend I am, right?

My breath was shaky as I exhaled, and I ran a hand through my brown hair, it flying everywhere and looking messy. My hands were shaking, and my eyes were darting around nervously, in anticipation. Siena and I had agreed to meet up at our favorite lunch spot after classes, and though I saw her in class, I got nothing more than a smile and a nod. But that was for the best, I suppose, considering that she had been screaming at me when she had left.

I fiddled with the buttons on my shirt, looking anywhere but up. I didn't think that I would be able to face her when she came, and that all the courage I spent the sleepless night building up would vanish in a heartbeat. It most likely would. Jake had insisted on taking care of Charlotte as I met up with Siena, and I had reluctantly agreed, even though I knew that having the puppy with me would greatly increase my chances of getting back in her good graces. And there was nothing I wanted more.

My heart ached, and so did every part of my body. It felt like I was in physical pain, whenever I was fighting with her. This fight was the worst, and my entire body was in pain, my mind screaming at me to go back to her, to continue being her friend. That was all I wanted. To be her friend. I didn't care about the fact that I was in love with her, or that without her, my heart would be broken. I just wanted to be her best friend again. I valued that more than anything.

Perhaps the greatest thing in the world is to know that you mean something to someone. To be a someone, to love someone. To know that there's somewhere out there that will miss you, that will care about you. And that's all we really want in life. To be someone's someone.

The restaurant was crowded, the sun shining upon the stainless steel benches and the ceramic tables. It was beautiful, and I was seated in my favorite lunch place, outside. Unfortunately, none of this did anything to assuage my nerves at seeing siena again, and I was pretty sure once I saw her, my tongue would become tied and I wouldn't even be able to apologize, alienating her once again.

I sighed and drummed my fingers against the table, staring off into space. My mind wandered, thinking about school and books, for I didn't want to think about what was coming.

A crashing sound drew me away from my revelry, and I jerked my head to see a small commotion about two tables away. Someone had bumped into a table, sending the entire thing tipping over. The waiters glared at the girl, and she shrugged and bent down to help them, before dusting her hands off and turning to face me.

When my eyes caught sight of Siena's face, my breath stopped in my throat. Even though she wasn't dressed in anything spectacular, just jeans and what I assumed was a t-shirt, underneath the thicker winter coat, she looked amazing. Her hair was swept back, and curled, instead of wavy, and pinned up, so only a few strands were loose and sweeping her shoulders. I stood up, nearly knocking over the chair, and wrung my hands, giving her a small smile.