Chapter 54

Better not to give in to it. It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.~ Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Dedication: To the wonderful LostInMyStory, who informed me about reaching #4 and is just an amazing reader, with the comments and the votes. Thank you!

A/N: Warning, this chapter definitely takes the story into a darker territory. Read with caution.

Siena

Everyone loves sacrifice. And everyone loves to talk about it. They gave up so much, they've lost so much, they've struggled and sacrificed everything.

All though media, you see stories of heroes who gave up a chance at a normal life, close relationships with friends, family, forced to alienate themselves because of their duty to being a hero. Losing lives and loves because they couldn't confess what was going on.

Those poor heroes, losing so much to help others. The classic sad story. And one of the worst.

Everybody loves to talk about how much a hero's sacrifice. How heroic they were, how amazing they were, how sad it was that they gave up so much.

No one ever thinks about the sacrifices a villain makes.

Everyone says heroes sacrificed so much, and how sad it was. Wouldn't it be sadder if there was nothing to sacrifice in the first place?

And people who sacrifice themselves for other people. A person's dream is to one day love someone so much that they would give up their life for you, and that you would do the same for them.

For me, I never believed in that. Because if I loved that person that much, them being all heroic and sacrificial was not the kinda relationship I wanted. I wanted a long relationship. I wanted a relationship with a person who was there, not dead because they were always putting themselves in harm's way for me.

I would hate myself if they did that.

But I guess that's why I spent so much time thinking about soulmates.

I'd always imagined what a soulmate would be like. How do we determine it? How do we know who our soulmates is? And to they really exist? Is there only one person out there for anyone? I didn't believe that. I did believe that people could love one person so intensely, and if they were to lose that person, find the same happiness with another. But how are these people determined? How could we tell our soulmates from regular people on the streets?

My favorite theory has always been the one of stardust. We're all made from stardust, all from the same explosion that created this mess of a world that we live. We all come from the Big Bang. It created every single star we know. So each of us, in our own right, is a star. We're all just stardust that happened to form together. But how does this relate to the idea of soulmates?

All matter yearns to be whole, and it can't do that by itself, just like humans. We all need someone at one point or another, as a friend, family, stranger, lover, just another being in our life. But all matter was once closer to one another. So I just always thought that matter that was near each in the beginning of the universe just wanted to be whole again.

In a way, it was like to stars were coming together to form something more infinite, more constant, just more.

Burning together, brighter.

Pain flares one the right side of my cheek, so intense, so wholesome that for a moment I'm disorientated. I don't where I am, who I'm with.

Just as my eyes start to crack open, a blinding pain registers in the back of my head, and I fall forward into darkness.