Chapter 50

No matter how many times you try to save the world, it always manages to be back in jeopardy again.~ Craig T. Nelson, The Incredibles

Dedication: To RbRain for flooding my notifications with tons of votes and comments, thank you so much!

Dylan 

That day, I decided to wake up early. Everything in my life was so confusing and muddled, I needed one constant. I hadn't heard Siena come in the night before, but a quick peek inside her room ensured that she was there, sleeping soundly, with one leg hanging off the bed and her hair splayed around the pillows.

Gently unlocking the door to the apartment, I stepped out of the hallway and walked to the fire escape. Frequently, over the summer, I had found Siena right here, climbing up to the roof to see over the city, and I soon wanted to do the same. So, as horrible of a climber as I was , and despite the definite risks of doing such a thing, especially in the dark night, I climbed up the fire escape and made my way to the roof, dangling my legs over the edge.

I leaned back, my hands behind my back and using them to support the weight of my body. Frankly, I was exhausted. School was getting harder and harder, and the whole mess with Siena was worrying me, taking up every bit of my brain capacity. It was hard, being like this, not so close. She was not an emotional person, but closed off. I was the one person in the world who knew her best and yet, I felt as though I barely knew her.

I sighed, and waited for the sun to rise. Our whole life, Siena and I had conflicting opinion on things, but in other ways we were so alike that it seemed as though we were sharing a brain. But still, she rarely shared about herself. Do you know those icebreakers activities they make you do? We had to do one at orientation for college, and she literally gave the same three answers for every single one that we did. And they were all widely known facts by me.

Just then, the first rays of sunlight began to peek over the tops of the buildings. Who wouldn't want to see New York City this time of day? I mean, we did have the most famous skyline in the world, and it really was the most famous for a reason. It truly was beautiful.

Soon, the sun rose too high, and the air became warmer, but it was shining directly in my face, and I couldn't see it anymore, so I decided to head back down. The apartment was as still as I had left it, as if no one had moved for hours, and knowing Siena, and this time of day, they probably hadn't.

I made my way into her room, and found her still deeply asleep, breathing heavily. Even asleep, she looked worried, in a constant state of flux. I had never really known her to be a at peace, and her brow was creased even as she muttered something and turned over, so she was on her side and facing me.

I sat down next to her and brushed away the hair that stuck to her face, and gently let it settle over her shoulder. I brushed against something on her shoulder, something through the thin material of her sweatshirt. Puzzled, I touched the area once again, and felt a thick ridge of paper-like material, but I didn't know what it was.

Brushing my fingers over her shoulder once again, my worse suspicions were confirmed. It was a bandage, and it was quite a large one. Why did she have this? How could she have gotten hurt? Just then, she stirred, and her eyes began to blink awake. Worried, I rushed out of her room and into the bathroom, pretending to brush my teeth. I could only hope that her eyes were too sleep-addled for her to process my image correctly, and that she didn't remember.

As I opened the bathroom cabinet to put my toothbrush away, I noticed Siena's anxiety pills, which were still in the bright orange container. But, they seemed to be too full. They were the same amount as a few weeks ago, when I saw them again. I unscrewed the cap and looked inside; the were still half full, and by this point, there should only be about a quarter left.