Chapter 51

"If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should."~ Frank Underwood

Dedication: To DrAgentK for all the hilarious comments. You never fail to make me laugh! Thank you!

Siena

I suppose the proper etiquette after walking out on your best friend is to cry, right? At least, that's what rom-coms and drama, along with society, tell us to do. Fuck society, I hate it. Too many expectations within limitations, that don't even work out. Sorry, I'm rambling like a crazy woman.

Anyways, after I left my former home, the one thing I didn't do was cry. On the contrary, I dialed Calli's number, who didn't have a roommate (she had kicked her out before Christmas for reasons I won't disclose) and she had a spare room. Right now, she was the ideal option for me to turn to.

Thankfully, she picked up almost immediately, and was more than welcome to have me stay with her. Due to my copious amounts of clothes and items I had stuffed in the largest suitcase I could find, she offered to pick me up from my apartment building and drive me there. I accepted readily, I hadn't gotten all of my clothes, and I still had some left. I still had enough to dress however I wanted for school, but I definitely needed to using the washing machine.

When Calli picked me up, I greeted her with a curt nod; she seemed to understand that I needed silence. When we reached her apartment, she pointed me to my room, but I already knew where it was, having been in this apartment enough times. I dumped my stuff in my room and sat on my bed, pulling out my phone. I winced at the lock screen, which was a picture of me and Dylan after my 18th birthday party, and considering changing it. I hovered over the option, but I just couldn't do it.

I picked up my bag, and headed off to school, where I would have to do my best to avoid him.

I spent the rest of the day (save for school, where I still avoided him) staying in my room and either on my phone or my laptop. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to delete Dylan's contact information from my phone, but I still couldn't do it. Attachments.

I rubbed a hand over my face, trying to keep myself alert, before I heard a soft knock at the door. "Come in." I called.

Calli stuck her head in, her face the very expression of nervousness. She shut the door behind her and came to sit beside me. "I just wanted to tell you dinner's ready."

I nodded, not taking my eyes off my phone screen to look at her. "Got it." Calli sighed, and ad changed her legs, so she was sitting cross-legged and across from me.

She took the phone out of my hands and switched it off, keeping it in hers. "Siena." She said sharply. I had never heard this tone of voice from her before. I looked up, surprised. "You have to do something about this." I knew exactly what she was referring to, and I shrugged my shoulders. "No." She insisted.

She breathed heavily, the swiped across the screen, unlocking my phone and going through my photos. When she came across the picture of Shreya, she thrust in my face and began talking. "I was wondering about this dead woman, so I did a bit of research on her, since my best friend seems to be dealing with all that now. Turns out a woman called 911 to report her, but they still can't find her, despite all the efforts of NYPD." She began, fixating me with a piercing and knowing glare.

I stared right back, my eyes flickering over her face every now and then. "Well?" She pushed.

I shrugged, then placed a hand on her shoulder. "Trust me Calli, it's nothing you need to worry about."

"Worry about!" She shouted. "How could I not worry about it! My best friend may have witnessed a murder and maybe be a target by the killer." I winced at these words.