Chapter 9

It's been almost a week since I saw Aang last. Almost a week stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean. My burn has scarred. Zuko has asked to see if it healed okay, but I told him that it has almost healed fully and that I shouldn't expose it for a while so it will stay healthy. He hasn't questioned me about it. But right now I'm on the deck drinking tea. Uncle is standing beside me taking deep breaths.

"What is it Uncle?" Zuko asks as he walks onto the deck.

"There's a storm coming. A big one. And it's coming from the north. It would be wise if we changed course for south-west." Uncle Iroh replies. Zuko looks around.

"There's not a cloud in the sky! We keep heading north! That's where the Avatar is going!" Zuko yells.

"Prince Zuko! Consider the safety of the crew!" Uncle exclaims.

"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko yells. One of the crew members just happens to be on deck when Zuko says this. Zuko notices him and walks up to the crew member.

"Catching the Avatar is far more important than any individual's safety." Zuko growls before storming off. I stare at the door he went through.

"He didn't mean it. He's just worked up." Uncle tells the crew member.

"Uncle...he said any individual..." I say. Uncle Iroh frowns and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Go talk to him." Uncle tells me. I nod and go off to Zuko's room first. I knock on his door gently.

"Go away Uncle. I'm not in the mood for one of your lectures." Zuko growls. I open the door.

"Actually it's just me. But I can go too if you'd like." I say. Zuko looks at me.

"No. Come in." He replies. I nod and enter his room, closing the door behind me.

"What's wrong? Is your arm hurting again?" Zuko asks worriedly. I must look troubled or hurt. Which I actually am.

"No...um. It's actually about what you said earlier on the deck." I reply, looking at the floor.

"I really don't think it'll rain." Zuko says, turning back to the burning candles on his meditation table.

"It's not that either. It was after that. It's what you said to that crew member." I tell Zuko. He thinks about it for a second.

"It's about the thing I said about how any individual's safety isn't as important as catching the Avatar...right?" Zuko asks.

"Yeah." I reply. He looks at me over his shoulder.

"I didn't mean it in that way. I do care about your safety. As well as Uncle's. I'd stop hunting the Avatar if something really bad happened to you. I'd spend my time caring for you till you go back to normal." Zuko tells me. I walk over to him and sit beside him.

"Please let me see your arm." Zuko pleads. I can't hide it from him forever. But I might be able to hide it for a while longer.

"It's fine. Just a little pink. It'll fade soon." I lie. He stares at me for a second before looking back at the candles.

"Ivy, I know you're hiding something from me. And I wish you would trust me enough to just tell me." Zuko says. I look away from him.

"It's not that I don't trust you, Zuko. I just don't want you to hurt over it." I reply.

"It is what it is. Please just tell me." Zuko pleads. I sigh and roll the sleeve up on my scarred arm. His good eye widens.

"You told me it was mostly gone!" Zuko exclaims.