Chapter 32

I look at Zuko to make sure he's asleep before standing up and putting my cloak on. I pull my hood up and sneak out of our room. I make my way quietly towards the garden. I look around me to make sure I'm not being followed. I enter the patch of grass and am instantly greeted by Mai. I close the passage.

"I know a way to get you out of here." Mai tells me. My eyes widen.

"When?" I ask.

"Tonight." Mai replies. I bite my lip.

"Okay. I'll do it." I agree. She nods.

"I'll help you steal a War Balloon." Mai tells me.

"Okay. I'll meet you there. I have a few things to do first." I reply.

"Be quick." Mai says before disappearing off into another tunnel. I climb out of the passage and go back to mine and Zuko's room. I pull out a piece of parchment, ink, and a quill.

Dear Zuko,

I'm safe. But I needed to get out of here. I went to find Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Rin. Don't worry, I'll be perfectly fine. Make sure no one knows I left on purpose. Pretend I was kidnapped. Mai helped me figure out a plan. You can trust her. Ty Lee too. If you want to find out more about where I went, talk to Mai.

Love,

Ivy

I walk over to Zuko's bathrobe and slip it into the left sleeve. I look at my husband and try not to cry.

"It's all for the best." I whisper to myself. I kiss his forehead and he blinks. Crap!

"Ivy?" Zuko yawns.

"Zuko, My Love, listen. I have to go away for a while. I'll be okay. I put a note with everything you need to know in your bathrobe. Talk to Uncle, Zuko. He can help you make sense of things." I say softly before turning and pulling my hood up. I start to leave our room.

"Ivy?" I hear Zuko ask shakily. A tear slips down my cheek.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as I walk further away. I make my way quickly to the prison Uncle is held in. The guard frown last time steps to the side.

"Go right in, Princess." He says. I nod and enter Uncle's cell.

"How are things Ivy?" Uncle asks.

"I'm leaving. Mai has my escape planned out. It's tonight. I wanted to see you again. I left Zuko a note. But I'm going to find Katara and the others. If Aang is actually dead...then it's my duty to take down Ozai." I reply. Uncle nods.

"This is an admirable thing you are doing. I'm sure Zuko will follow in your footsteps at some point. I will make sure to point him that way when he comes to see me. And I have a feeling it'll be soon. Leave while you can. Good luck. I'll see you again one day." Uncle says. I smile.

"Thank you, Uncle. But before I go..." I begin before weakening the bars around the cell door.

"Bust out when you think you should." I whisper. He gives me a grateful look. I turn and leave. I hurry to the spot I'm supposed to meet Mai at.

"Finally. Let's get one of these in the air. I'll untie it while you fuel up the balloon." Mai tells me. I nod.

"Wait. Mai." I say. She looks at me curiously. I hug her.

"Thank you. For everything. Please help Zuko when he needs it." I plead. She hugs me back.

"Of course. Anything for my best friend. And I promise to help him. Now let's go." Mai says and goes off to a War Balloon. I climb into the basket and start shooting fire in the furnace to get the balloon to go up. Mai unties the ropes and watches as I begin to float away.

"Good luck and stay safe." Mai says. I give her a smile.

"You too." I reply. She hurries off and I sigh.

"Time to find Rin and everyone else." I mutter and continue to fuel the balloon every once in a while.

*eight hours later when the sun is up*

I yawn and look around. I spot a cloud flying quickly straight towards an island. The baby kicks wildly. I place a hand on my belly.

"I think you're right. That must be Appa. And Katara must be creating that cloud around them." I whisper. I make the balloon go down and land in the water near the beach. I create a frozen path onto the beach. I carefully make my way across it.

"Sokka, there's no one here to hear us." I hear Katara say as I get closer to them. I grin.

"Shh. This is enemy territory. These are enemy birds." I hear Sokka reply. I roll my eyes. Classic Sokka. I poke my head above the rock I'm hiding behind to see them enter a cave.

"Well I guess this is it till the invasion. Living in cave...after cave....after cave." Sokka says glumly.

"Sokka, we don't need to become cave people. We need new clothes." Katara says.

"She's right. Staying in disguise is better than hiding in caves." Aang adds. My eyes light up.

"Well I don't care where we sleep. As long as there's dirt." Toph says.

"You got that right." Rin agrees. I step out from behind the rock and walk towards them.

"Uh. Aang?" I ask. He whips around and everyone get into fighting stances. Except for Toph.

"Ivy!" Rin exclaims happily and she and Toph run forward. I bring them into a hug.

"What're you doing here? You're supposed to be with Zuko." Rin says.

"I wanted to make sure you all were okay. Especially you Aang. You really had me worried. But don't worry, I came alone." I reassure them. I release Rin and Toph, only to be hugged by Sokka and Katara.

"How's the baby?" Katara asks. I smile.

"Perfectly healthy." I reply and release them. I look at Aang and he dives forward. He hugs me tightly.

"You gave up your life in the palace just to come with us. Why?" Aang asks.

"Because you're all my family. And you lot needed me more than Zuko or any of the others. And I know that they gave you problems in the past. But Mai and Ty Lee are good. They always have been they just were helping Azula because they feared her. But now that Zuko is back in place for the throne, Mai isn't afraid of her anymore. Ty Lee is a little. But they will turn on her eventually." I tell them.

"But seriously. Disguises." Katara says. I grin.

"I'm sure we'll find some clothes somewhere." I say gesturing towards the town nearby. Toph grins. I missed the Gaang.