Chapter 35

It's been a few days since the baby kicked like crazy. Sokka trained with Master Piandao in the ways of swordplay. It really helped him. We also visited Roku's home. He wanted to talk to Aang and I. But, sadly, I can't go into the Spirit World with this baby. But Aang said that I'll be able to go soon. I don't understand why he said that. I still have a month till I'm supposed to give birth. Who knows how much longer after that I'd have to wait. I shake it out of my thoughts. Momo and I watch as Katara and Toph get ready to train Aang. He puts his blindfold on and takes a defensive stance. Momo chatters to me.

"I know. It's boring not being able to do any training yourself." I grumble. "Luckily I can at least Air Bend without hurting myself."

I send a tiny tornado towards Rin and her skirt flies up and the only thing keeping you from seeing her undergarments is the pants I found for her.

"I really wish you were just a Fire Bender." Rin says, pouting as she puts her skirt back down. I grin.

"You know you love me." I reply.

"I can't help it." She mutters and goes to keep Katara and Toph from killing each other.

"Ivy, how about you and I go practice Water Bending for a while." Katara says as she walks over to me with mud all over her. I frown.

"But Bending hurts. Well, not Air Bending anyway." I reply.

"When was the last time you used your Bending?" Katara asks.

"Back in Ba Sing Se when Jet tried to kill Zuko. I used my Earth Bending to trap him." I say.

"Hmm. Let's just give it a go. If it hurts. I can just give you a healing session to get your muscles to relax." Katara says. I smile and nod. We walk down to the small beach and pick a good spot to practice. Katara Bends some water out of the ocean, cleans the mud off herself, and looks at me as she Bends the water back into the ocean. I bit my lip and try to Bend some water out of the ocean. A sharp pain hits my stomach. I drop the water and groan as I clutch my belly.

"Healing session it is." Katara says and helps me lay down. She brings water over me and relaxes my muscles, one by one. Once she finishes, we go back to camp and start making dinner. Or, well, Katara starts making dinner and I pet Momo.

"We're back." Aang says and they plop baskets of food on the ground by Katara.

"Where'd you get the money for all of this?" Katara asks in shock.

"Toph scammed a guy! He was one of those guys that moves the shells all sneaky-like!" Aang exclaims with a grin. I raise an eyebrow.

"What? So you basically just scammed some poor guy?" Katara asks.

"Hey, he scammed a bunch of other people!" Toph defends herself.

"But you could've gotten into trouble! Then what would've we done?" I scold.

"Well it seems I'm in trouble now by you two bossy mothers!" Toph shouts. I frown and look at my belly.

"Ivy...I didn't mean to..." Toph begins.

"It's okay. Like you said. The baby will probably favor Zuko over me anyway." I cut her off before walking over to Appa and sitting by his head. He presses the side of his head against me and closes his eyes.

"I'm okay, Appa. Don't worry." I reassure him and look back at everyone else. I see Katara yelling at Toph. But then Toph turns and starts walking away. Aang, Sokka, and Rin follow her.

"You don't think I'll be a bad mother. Do you?" I ask Appa. He licks me. I smile.

"Thanks, Appa." I say softly and run my hands through his fur.

"Ivy?" Katara asks in a soft voice.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Are you okay? Toph shouldn't have said any of that to you. You'll be a good mother and the baby will love you." Katara says softly. I sigh.

"I'm fine. I don't blame Toph at all. She didn't mean it. And I know the baby is going to like Zuko more." I reply. Katara frowns.

"How do you know that?" Katara asks.

"Whenever I'm around him, the baby is calm and only kicks every once in a while to get attention. But now that I'm away from him, the baby is trying to get out and find him." I reply and rub my belly. Katara hands me a bowl of food and I accept it.

"I don't know why that baby would like him more." Katara grumbles.

"Kat, Zuko is loving and caring. He cares about me and the baby a lot. And I care about him just as much. Sure he's done some things to you guys before. But it was all to get us back home in the Fire Nation so he could give us a stable home." I tell her. She sighs and goes back to getting everyone else's food ready. I look at Appa as I eat.

"You believe me right?" I ask. Appa nudges my side slightly. I smile.

"Thanks, boy." I say happily. Toph and the others return and Toph and Katara have a fight again. And of course Sokka had to get a messenger hawk. My eyes widen when I see two messenger hawks.

"Sokka!" I call. He looks over at me and smiles.

"I thought you would want to write to Zuko." Sokka says and a hawk lands on my arm.

"Thank you, Sokka." I say gratefully. He smiles and nods. I immediately start writing to Zuko.

Dear Zuko,

Sokka bought me a messenger hawk so I could send letters to you. I've been so down since I left. And the baby is kicking so much! I miss you so much. I think the baby misses you too. But Aang taught me Airbending. So basically, I'm a fully realized Avatar's Guardian! But there's some things I can still learn. Anyway, how are you? I hope you're not too mad at me for leaving. Has Mai helped at all? I hope so, I mean, she promised she would. Shit, I'm running out of room. Stay safe.

Lots of love,

Ivy

I roll the letter up carefully and stick it in the little carrier on the messenger hawk's back. I wave my arm and the hawk flies away. Please get my letter Zuzu.