Chapter 31

I sit beside Zuko at the turtle-duck pond. Zuko tears a bit of bread apart and tosses it in the water for the cute little creatures. A shadow goes over them and the turtle-ducks swim away quickly.

"Why so down, Zuzu?" Azula asks.

"It's been two days and I haven't seen Father yet." Zuko replies.

"So?" Azula asks.

"I don't have the Avatar. What if Father doesn't restore my honor?" Zuko asks. Azula sighs.

"The Avatar is dead and you helped me take Ba Sing Se. You should have nothing to worry about." Azula sighs and walks away. Zuko stares at the pond for a second.

"I'll go with you if you want." I tell him. He smiles at me.

"Thank you." Zuko says gratefully. I smile and nod. As much as I don't want to see Ozai, Zuko needs me. We get up and make our way to Ozai's throne room. We stop outside the curtains.

"Ready?" I ask. He takes a breath and nods.

"Ready." He replies. We enter the room and walk forward until we're close enough to Ozai. We get down on the floor and bow. Although I can't go far down due to my giant belly. Ozai walks forward and stands just in front of us.

"Welcome home my son. You have redeemed yourself. And you Lady Ivy." Ozai says.

"Ivy is actually Princess now." Zuko tells Ozai.

"Really? Well then. That should explain your stomach." Ozai says. I bite my lip to stop myself from spitting a comeback at him.

"I am proud of you Prince Zuko. Proud because when your loyalties were tested by your traitorous Uncle. You made the right choice and joined your sister. I am most proud that you did what seemed to be impossible. You slayed the Avatar." Ozai says with a tiny smile. My heart drops. How could I forget Aang?

"What did you hear?" Zuko asks.

"Azula told me how amazed she was with your power and ferocity. And how, at the moment of truth, you took the Avatar down." Ozai replies. No. This isn't right. Azula supposedly killed Aang. Why would she lie about this?

"And as for you, Princess Ivy. I welcome you into my family." Ozai says to me.

"Thank you." I reply.

"You two are dismissed." Ozai says and walks back to his throne. Zuko and I leave the room.

"Well that went well." I breathe once we're far enough away from the room.

"Yeah." Zuko replies.

"I'll see you later, Zuko. I'm gonna go visit Ty Lee." I tell him.

"Okay." Zuko replies and kisses my cheek. I walk out the front of the palace and in the direction of Ty Lee's house.

"Aren't you going to take the palanquin, Your Majesty?" A servant asks.

"I was just going to visit Ty Lee. It's not far from here. I'm fine with walking." I reply.

"It is no place for members of the Royal family to walk anyway, Princess." The servant tells me. I sigh and nod before getting in the palanquin. Four servants pick up the palanquin and carry me quickly to Ty Lee's house. I nod at them in thanks before walking up to the door. I knock on it and a girl who looks like Ty Lee answers. She must be one of Ty Lee's sisters.

"Princess Ivy." The girl gasps and bows to me.

"No need for that. I'm here to see Ty Lee." I tell her. She nods and looks over her shoulder.

"Ty Lee! Princess Ivy is here to see you!" The girl exclaims. Ty Lee cartwheels up to the door.

"Hi Ivy!" Ty Lee greets me. I give her a small smile.

"I need to talk to you. Very urgently." I tell her. She gives me a worried look.

"Are you okay?" Ty Lee asks. I nod.

"Yes. But we need to go somewhere no one will find us. Mai took me to these underground tunnels. Come with me. And try to not be spotted." I whisper. She nods and follows me as we sneak around towards the spot where Mai took me into the tunnels last night. We enter through the hidden stairs.

"What's going on?" Ty Lee asks.

"I have to tell you something. Very important and you can't tell anyone. Promise me you'll keep it a secret. I'm going to tell Mai later when I meet back up with her." I say.

"I promise." Ty Lee replies. I bite my lip.

"Aang...the Avatar. Is...well...was my half-brother." I admit. Her eyes widen.

"But..." She begins.

"It's a long story. But I'm the Avatar's Guardian. And I failed my job. But I would've felt that he died. I think he might still be alive." I tell Ty Lee.

"But Azula shot him down with lightning." Ty Lee says, confused.

"I know. But I would know if he were dead. Once I get word that he's alive...I'm going to need yours and Mai's help getting out of here to join him." I say.

"Don't worry, Ivy. I'll work with Mai to find a way to get out unnoticed." Ty Lee replies. I hug her.

"Thank you." I whisper.

"Of course! What are friends for?" Ty Lee chirps. I smile.

"We should go back to your house before the servants that brought me to you wonder where I am." I say. Ty Lee nods and we carefully make our way back to her house.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Bye Ty Lee." I say waving at my friend. She waves back.

"Bye Ivy!" She exclaims as the servants take me back to the palace in the palanquin.

"Thank you." I say gratefully before walking inside the palace.

"Where've you been?" Azula asks.

"I just went to see Ty Lee. We had a lot to catch up on. I'm going to see Mai tomorrow." I reply. She nods.

"Well you have been gone for three years." Azula sighs. I nod.

"Now I need to go rest. It's been a long day." I say before going to Zuko's and my room to nap before meeting Mai in the tunnels. I lay down in the bed and sigh blissfully as sleep washes over me.