Chapter 19

I sigh as Uncle, Zuko, and I sit on the ground in a marketplace. Uncle has his hat upside down, holding a few coins he got from people passing by.

"Coins for weary travellers?" Uncle asks holding his hat up to a man. He gives Uncle two copper coins before leaving.

"This is embarrassing! We're royalty! They should be giving us whatever we want!" Zuko complains. I yank his hat off his head before hitting the back of his head with the palm of my hand.

"Ow!" Zuko exclaims, rubbing the spot I hit him. He snatches his hat out of my hand and puts it back on.

"They will. But only if you ask nicely." Uncle tells Zuko. A pretty girl walks by and Uncle holds his hat up.

"A coin for a hungry old man?" Uncle asks in a pleading voice. She smiles and puts a copper coin in his hat.

"The coin is much appreciated. But not as much as your smile." Uncle tells the girl. She smiles at him and thanks him before moving on. Then a man walks up to us.

"I'll give you a gold coin for some entertainment." The man says. Zuko glares at him.

"We're not performers." Zuko growls. I whack his arm.

"Not profesional anyway." Uncle says before putting his hat down and standing up.

"It's a long long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city they look so pretty!!!" Uncle sings way out of key. I giggle quietly.

"Come on! We're talking about a gold piece here! Let's see some action!" The man exclaims, pulling out duel swords. Zuko and I watch him carefully.

"Dance!" The man exclaims and starts slicing at the ground, causing Uncle to dance from one foot to another.

"And they kiss so sweet that you've really got to meet, the girls from Ba Sing Se!" Uncle sings. The man laughs and puts his swords away.

"Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner! Here you go!" The man laughs and tosses the gold coin to Uncle before leaving. Uncle puts it in his hat before sitting back down next to me.

"Such a kind man." Uncle says. I giggle and shake my head at him in amusement. Zuko tries to give me more shade.

"Zuko, Dear, I'm fine." I say.

"I don't want you to get heat stroke." Zuko tells me. I roll my eyes.

"I'll tell you if I get too hot. Don't worry, My Love." I reassure him. He sighs and takes his hat off before putting it on my head. I smile and kiss his cheek. He blushes and looks away from me.

"Uncle, we should go get some dinner before the sun goes down." I say.

"Good idea, Ivy." Uncle replies. We get up and make our way to a little stand with some fruit. The woman at the stand is counting the coins she must've just received.

"Excuse me. How much are each fruit? And do you know what's best for a pregnant woman?" I ask in a soft and weak voice, portraying a hungry, homeless pregnant woman. She gives me a sympathetic look.

"I'll give you ten fruit on the house, Young One. And for a pregnant woman, I'd recommend a papaya or a mango." She tells me. I bow slightly.

"Thank you so much." I say gratefully in the same soft, weak voice. She smiles at me and gives me a basket. I pick up two mangos, two papayas, two apples, and two dragon fruits. I try to lift the basket and gasp when I get a cramp in my side. Zuko grabs the basket and my waist with a worried expression.

"You get away from her!" The woman exclaims. I let out a breath.

"It's okay. This is my husband, Lee." I tell the woman and then gesture to Uncle. "And my Uncle-in-law, Mushi."

"I'm Rin. I don't think I caught your name." She says.

"My name's Miwa." I reply. She smiles softly at me.

"Well, Miwa, come back in the morning and I'll give you some more fruit." Rin tells me. I smile and bow slightly to her.

"Thank you. But I'll pay for them." I tell her.

"Only a copper coin. No more than that." Rin replies. I sigh.

"Very well. But thank you, Rin." I say gratefully. She smiles and nods. Zuko guides me away as Uncle follows us with the ostrich-like animal. We enter a covered alley and set up there for the night. I open a mango for myself while Uncle and Zuko open both of the dragon fruit for themselves. We eat in silence and I give a bit of my mango to the ostrich-like animal. As soon as I finish my mango, Zuko ties the bird to a post.

"You two should get some sleep. I'll put everything away so no one steals it in the middle of the night." Zuko says. Uncle doesn't argue and falls asleep next to the ostrich-like animal. I sigh.

"Goodnight, Zuko." I say softly. He gives me a quick kiss.

"Goodnight, Ivy." Zuko replies. I lay down beside Uncle and close my eyes. I squint them to see Zuko pull out his Blue Spirit mask. What is he up to? He soon leaves and I sigh. I don't know what he's going to do, but I won't question my husband...much.