Chapter 40

I sit against the wall as I watch Zuko begin teaching his first Fire Bending lesson to Aang. I have Masumi in my lap.

"Don't be nervous. Now remember. Fire Bending isn't something to fear." Zuko reminds Aang.

"Right. Fire Bending isn't something to fear." Aang repeats.

"But if you don't respect it," Zuko begins calmly before yelling, "It'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino!"

Aang let's out a fearful noise.

"Zuko. Take it easy on him. He's not accustomed to hardcore training. Not like I was when I learned from Azula." I remind my husband. He sighs.

"You're right. I need to take a different approach. I shouldn't scare him if I want him to learn properly." Zuko agrees. I cross my arms.

"Hey. I wasn't scared of Azula. I just didn't like her attitude." I retort. Zuko turns red.

"I didn't mean that you were scared of her. I meant that uhhh. I don't even know what I meant." Zuko rambles before putting a hand on his forehead.

"Just get on with the lesson, Zuzu." I laugh. He sighs and nods.

"Okay. Now show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make." Zuko says. Aang nods before taking a nervous breath and trying to blast fire out of his left hand. But all that comes out is a little wisp of smoke. Aang glances at Zuko nervously.

"Maybe I need a little more instruction...perhaps a demonstration?" Aang suggests.

"Good idea. You might want to stand back a little." Zuko tells Aang. My brother nods and backs up. Zuko takes a breath before stepping forward to punch fire out of his fist. But only a small amount of fire comes out. Aang claps but I frown. Why is his Fire Bending acting up?

"What was that!? That was the worst Fire Bending I've ever seen!" Zuko shouts at himself. I sigh and stand up. I hand Masumi to Aang.

"I thought it was...nice." Aang says, not sure what to say to his Fire Bending teacher. Whom, by the way, is furiously trying to blast fire in different directions, but none work properly.

"Perhaps Ivy could do the demonstration?" Aang asks.

"No. Zuko is your teacher. Besides, I grew up learning from Azula, she taught a lot more strictly than Zuko. One hair out of place and you had to run in a circle and try to dodge the fireballs she would shoot at you." I tell Aang. My brother sweat drops.

"So...you're a master?" Aang asks. Zuko sighs after giving up for the moment.

"Not just a master. She's a prodigy. I'd even say she's better than Azula, Uncle Iroh, and my father put together." Zuko replies. I roll my eyes.

"You flatter me." I say with a smile.

"It's true." Zuko says.

"No it's not. Uncle is one of the best Fire Benders to ever live. Azula draws her power from anger and irritation, if she didn't, her Bending wouldn't be as good as it is. Ozai is just crazy. And in a matter of time, you will be the best Fire Bender in the world." I tell Zuko. He rolls his eyes before trying to Bend again. But it still isn't working.

"Maybe it's the altitude." Aang says. Zuko sighs.

"Maybe." Zuko replies.

"Let's head down to the main floor. It should be better there." I say. The two boys nod and follow me down to a spot next to the fountain. I sit on a pillar with Aang. I take Masumi back into my arms. Zuko starts trying to bend again. But it still won't work.