Chapter 18

I pluck a bunch of berries off a bush, knowing very well that these red berries are safe to eat, and put them in the basket I wove with reeds from beside the river. I only know a few berries that we can eat. But the rest I try to stay away from. I bring the basket full of berries back to where Uncle had set up camp. Zuko found Earth Kingdom clothes for us this morning. They're plain but at least it'll help keep us hidden. We've been out here for at least a week. Zuko's managed to catch a few small animals and I've gotten fruit everyday. Uncle keeps looking at strange plants, he's tried to use one for tea but I took it away and dumped it all out. Zuko's left me in charge of Uncle.

"Ivy, you know that plant I thought was a good tea plant which you told me not to touch just in case?" Uncle asks once I place the basket of berries on the ground. My eyes widen in realization.

"You didn't." I gasp.

"But I did." Uncle says and turns to me. He's all red and splotchy. I shriek and look around desperately.

"Zuko!" I call urgently. My husband bursts through a bush with a worried look.

"What ha..." Zuko begins before looking at Uncle in shock.

"We have to get him to a doctor! Or a clinic!" I exclaim. Zuko shakes his head.

"That would risk us being caught!" Zuko exclaims.

"I don't care! We need to get him help!" I cry. Zuko sighs.

"Okay. We'll go to the town and take him to the clinic." Zuko replies. I sigh in relief and help Uncle up. We hurry to the town nearby and go straight to the clinic. A girl about mine and Zuko's age begins to help Uncle.

"I don't think I've seen you around here before. What're your names?" The girl asks, looking at Zuko for far too long.

"My name is Lee, that's my Uncle Mushi, and..." Zuko begins.

"Nice to meet you both! I'm Song!" The girl exclaims with a smile. I glare at her.

"And this is my wife, Miwa." Zuko says, gesturing to me. Song's face falls.

"So...are you moving here?" She asks.

"No. We're traveling to Ba Sing Se. It's the only safe place left that we can think of." I reply. Song shoots me a tiny glare.

"Why are you looking for safety?" She asks. I think of a lie.

"The Fire Nation burned our village down a week ago. Mine and Lee's mothers died." I tell her. Song frowns.

"What about your other family members?" She asks.

"Well my mother was all I had left in my family. But Lee's father died fighting in the war a year or two ago. And his younger sister was taken away by an illness no more than two months ago." I lie. "So now we just have each other and Uncle Mushi."

"Miwa, while we're here, maybe you should see if the baby is okay." Zuko suggests. I nod.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea." I reply. Song walks over to me and sighs. She puts a hand over my stomach and presses lightly in a few different spots.

"Have you experienced any heavy bleeding down there or intense pains in the stomach area?" Song asks me. I shake my head.

"Then the baby is perfectly fine." She says bitterly before going back to Uncle. I share a smile with Zuko, happy that our baby is okay.

"You all look hungry. Why don't you come and have dinner with my mother and I tonight." Song suggests.

"We can't. We have to leave right after this." Zuko replies.

"Don't listen to him. We'd love to have dinner with you. Where do we go?" Uncle asks. I grumble and cross my arms.

"What's wrong?" Zuko whispers to me.

"I don't like her." I whisper back. He smirks.

"Are you jealous?" He whispers. I glare at him.

"No." I growl.

"Good. You have nothing to be jealous of." Zuko whispers and kisses my cheek. I smile. We leave and go to get our stuff gathered up before heading off to Song's house. Uncle knocks on the door and Song answers.

"I'm so glad that you came! Come on in." Song says, opening the door more. Uncle enters the house and Zuko guides me inside as well. We sit at a table and begin eating once Song's mother brings out the food. I don't really pay attention much as I eat the roast duck.

"I need some air." Zuko says and leaves the house. I go to follow him but Song beats me to it and follows him outside.

"Aren't they perfect for each other?" Song's mother asks Uncle as she begins to gather up the dishes.

"Who do you mean?" Uncle asks.

"Lee and Song of course." Song's mother replies. I place my hands on my stomach and glare at the table.

"Lee is already married." Uncle tells her.

"Really? Did she die when your village was burned down?" Song's mother asks.

"No. Lee's wife sits at this very table." Uncle replies. Song's mother raises an eyebrow before glancing at me.

"You mean Miwa?" She asks. Uncle nods.

"She's pregnant. They'll be expecting their baby in eight months." Uncle tells her. Song's mother looks shocked.

"Miwa, would you like anything else to eat?" She asks. I give her a tiny smile.

"I'm okay. Thank you." I reply. She nods and leaves to wash the dishes. I look at Uncle.

"They have something against me." I say. Uncle sighs.

"It seems so." Uncle replies. Zuko returns with an irritated look and a smug looking Song. Zuko walks over to me and helps me up. I take his hand.

"Lee, are you alright?" I ask. He looks at me.

"I'm fine, Miwa. But the sooner we leave, the sooner we can get you safe." Zuko replies. Uncle stands up and we thank Song and her mother before leaving. I notice an ostrich-like animal in a stable and pull on Zuko's sleeve. He sees what I'm looking at and begins to untie it.

"Zuko, what are you doing? These people just showed you great acts of kindness." Uncle scolds quietly. Zuko helps me onto the saddle.

"Well they're about to show us even more kindness." Zuko replies gesturing for Uncle to get on with me. Uncle sighs and climbs on. Zuko grabs the reins and guides the ostrich-like animal away. I'm just glad to get away from Song.