Promises (Eren Jaeger x Reader)

Written by m_y_s_t
(Armindillo is an actual meme.)

Eren was, yet once again, on one of his Titan rants. You both joined the survey corps, along with you friends, Armin, Jean, and Mikasa.

You were all eating in the cafeteria, munching on some mashed potatoes and other foods you, nor anyone else, could name. Sasha was shifting table to table, in search of any food, mostly mashed potatoes, that was left. And that's when you heard Eren yelling at Jean. It was rare, since they were in different groups usually.

"ARE YOU GOING TO LET MARCO DIE IN VAIN NOW?!"

Armin and Mikasa were trying to hold the fierce titan shifter back. You decided to join them, since you were one of his closer friends. I mean, you were the one who watched his mothers death. Everyone was recoiled in the corners of the room, frightened that Eren could shift at any moment. Sasha sat at one of the tables, grabbing the rest of the mash potatoes. The flicker of the candles shone on the wooden frame.

You pulled back your (H/L) (H/C) hair,and stood in front of the two boys. They always fought back in training, but this was something else. You ignored their rants, and faced Jean. "You guys are pathetic," you state bluntly, and then turned to the red faced Eren. Jean was still mad, ready to throw a punch. You ignored his death glares, and spoke sternly, "Eren.."

"(Y/N), I know, I promised you." He mumbles quietly, bowing his head in defeat. His dark locks were framing his sweaty forehead. You smirk, taking his hand and leading him out of the cafeteria. You already heard voices yelling, and gave Armin and Mikasa a signal for, wait a few minutes. You knew there would be commotion.

You broke your hold on him, your face softening. "Eren, what's going on in that mind of yours?" You ask, sitting crossed-legged on the grass. Eren sat next to you, sighing, "I would ask the same to you."

You roll your eyes, leaning your head on his strong shoulder. "You promised not to rant like that again after Annie froze herself." It was hopeless though, he had a reason. Almost half of his friends died. Eren could be so headstrong these days, and it felt that he had the pressure of being humanitys last hope.

"(Y/N).. I don't want any of you guys dead. Armin... Mikasa... Jean..."

Your arms, like vines, wrapped Eren in a hug. His face turns scarlet, but he looks off in the distance, his head held low. You hated this side of him. The side with no hope. "Eren.." You tighten your hug, nuzzling your cheek to his. In a swift motion, he wrapped his arms around you, and cried.

Eren cried.

It wasn't the first time, but it was just you and him. "Promise me (Y/N)! Promise me, you'll fight for your life." He yelled. Tears rolled down his chin, dropping on your knees.

It sounded simple, but thinking about it made the situation worse. Will you fight for your life? Or are you just fighting, because your friends are too?

Eventually, you started to cry. To cry because you knew how much you cared for Eren, and that he could die. And that you could die. Everyone you cared about, vanishes, in the world you live in. A rough finger stops a tear from rolling down.

"(Y/N), I-I love you. And I will promise, once this is over, you and me will be a together with our friends." Eren assures, one small tear rolling down his left eye.

You wrapped your arms around his neck, and cried. You cried again. You knew that you could be with him, but your friends.. Could all be gone by then. They were risking their lives. And so were you and Eren. Could it be you dying? It could be anyone. Loving someone means risking your life, and you've loved too many. That's why some are dead. Marco.. Dead.
Brother.. Dead.

Uncle.. Dead.

Dad.. Dead.

Isabel.. Dead.

And much more. You cried softly, the tears overflowing.

Caught up in the commotion, your realized Erens hand lifting your chin, leaning in. You respond, leaning in and kissing him. You could tell how much he cared for you. He held you, as if you were a delicate piece of china. He kissed you, as if it was your last breath. Eren loved you. It was hard to believe, since you had been pals for at least 4 years. "Promise me... Fight. Fight for you father, (Y/N). Don't die for me, die for your family."

He caressed your cheek, wiping all of the tears away. As you broke the kiss, looking into his sea-green blue eyes. It was time to fight. Answering, the two words escaped your mouth, so close to Eren.

"I promise."