Eye For An Eye

*Elijah's POV*

"Can I have your attention please?" I projected my voice & the room went silent, "I would like to thank you all for coming & celebrating this new venture for my beautiful girlfriend Finlay & my brother Niklaus. Let's raise our glasses."

                          Everyone raised their glasses & toasted to Finlay & Niklaus. I took a large sip of my drink & took an unneeded breath. It was now or never.

"There is another toast I'd like you to join me for but firstly Finlay would you please join me," I raised my voice once again.

                          Finlay blushed profusely as she joined me. She was so beautiful standing there & I knew this was right.

I turned to her smiling & dropped down on one knee, "when I first laid eyes on you, I knew you were the only one I want to share the rest of my life with. I can't imagine growing old with anyone else, nor do I want to. I promise you, no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me. The story of our love is only beginning. Let's write our own happy ending. Finlay, will you marry me?"

                          She just stared at me, tears welling in her eyes & breaking their banks. The room was so hushed that I was afraid that she was going to say no. I literally stopped breathing & my hands began to shake.

She continued to gaze into my eyes, "Elijah, I couldn't imagine living my life with anyone but you. Yes."

                          I exhaled & I had never been so happy in the whole thousand plus years of my immortal life. I placed the ring onto her ring finger. She wrapped her arms around me & I kissed her like I had never kissed her before. My siblings were the first to come over to us, then everyone else followed suit.

                         The night was a complete success. Both Niklaus & Finlay had sold several artworks. Life was starting to fall into place & I was finally satisfied with how my patience has paid off. Niklaus & I were just dealing with the last of the serving staff as they left through the back door. I could her Finlay talking to someone. Niklaus also heard & walked back out to the main room, muttering under his breath.

I quickly put the rubbish bags into the outside bin & then I heard Niklaus say, "Marcel, what are you doing here?"

"Nothing but getting my own revenge," he spoke.

                         I raced toward Finlay, pulling her back behind me. This was going to end bloody & that was going to ruin out perfect night.

I heard Rebekah's human speak, "oh look, vampires are real."

                         Marcel started to leave while Vincent's eyes were fixed on all of us & out of nowhere the four of us went down. He was giving us brain aneurisms & that's the last thing I needed. I couldn't protect my fiancé. I could barely hear Freya chanting a protection spell. That was all we needed to gain the upper hand.

I got up just as Marcel turned around, "Finlay now."

                         I realized that somehow Marcel had compelled her to do God-knows what. It was in slow motion that I revolved in her direction to see her thrusting a knife into her abdomen continuously. I could hear Rebekah screaming, Niklaus & Kol cursing & Freya trying to take hold of the situation.

"NOOOO," I yelled as I sped over to catch her before she hit the ground.

                         Her eyes tortured with agony. This couldn't be happening, not now that I found my true love. I held her close in my arms. My stomach tearing apart as her blood surrounded us, soaking into my suit & turning her dress a darker red. I could no longer hear anything but her slow beating heart & desperate breaths.