SIX

Power is something that confuses me still. People want it, yes, I can fully understand that, but it's the sheer determination some have that completely messed with my head. I will agree, power is something everyone, at least once, dreams about, whether it's about standing up to the bully and putting him in his place or running a country set by your rules. But the determination some people have to gain it makes me wonder if everyone can be trusted.

As I stand here, alone, within the walls of the palace, the pale moonlight shining upon my face, I think of the boy who broke my heart.

Your mate always holds a place in your heart, whether rejected, loved, tolerated, or even hated, they will always share a small section of your heart, or maybe even your whole heart. That's something fate does to make you either love it, or detest it. Ever since my rejection I think about him, the boy who wanted nothing to do with me, the boy who I don't know why he wanted me gone. We never even knew each other to be honest, to me he was just the Alpha's son and someone who many people respected and loved. I was in that bandwagon, respecting him for who he was to be and loving him because I knew that love and loyalty connect. I knew that one day I would need to be loyal to him.

Leaning my head against the cold stone wall, I close my eyes, listening to the sounds of the gentle lake, how the wind causes leaves to fall into the lake, my wolf picking up the sound of those small splashes that go unnoticed to humans.

The breeze kisses my skin, the nighttime air feeling amazing against my clean skin, my once wet hair now almost fully dry as I weave my fingers through it. Fifteen minutes ago I popped out of the shower ready for bed, only to discover I had no desire to shut my eyes just yet. So, here I sit, against the wall on a balcony someone on one of the many towers, exhausted from today.

Diner was awkward, filled with silence as the King and I ate in silence, the only concentration held was with our eyes. I could always feel his eyes burning holes in my head, his eyes upon me, watching every move I made. Sometimes I would meet his stare, my glance making his eyes brighten up, only for me to look away as I went back to my meal. After diner I tried again to get my phone, asking for it, trying to contact my parents and tenant, only for a resounding no and the end of the discussion only started.

By the time I was back to my room, the King had told me goodnight, but I knew he wanted to say more, to say words that would only cause me to fall faster into a pit of confusion with no escape. I do not know what game his plays at, why he wants to do this. He says I am his, he says he wants me to love him, yet he still tells me nothing as to why. He has to have a mate, I doubt he's mateless, as that happens to those only blessed by the moon goddess to become warriors, legendary fighters who abide by her will and dedicate their life to her, to protect her creations. Warriors appear very rarely and hardly ever are seen around other wolves. The King has to either of rejected his mate, has his mate somewhere, not met her yet, or she died, though I doubt the last one, for the King is all too lively to have lost his mate.

The sound of something breaking causes me to open my eyes quickly, snapping my head up to see a figure, hands over their mouth as a vase lays upon the floor, shattered. The maid is small, blond hair, brown eyes, trembling with fear as the vase, which I remember being next to the balcony archway, one painted by elves, now lays upon the floor, broken to the point of no return.

"My Lady Sybil, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to, my Lady, it was dark and-

"You didn't disturb me," I reply, getting to my feet as I watch her head bow. I frown at that. "Let's clean it up."

"My Lady?"

Why is she confused. "Yes?" Her eyes are wide, her skin pale as she watches me move forward, only for her to flinch away. "Are you okay?"