FORTY-TWO

The cold air nips upon my bare skin, my body shuddering as I grab the blanket, cradling my body within it.

I'm still cold, goosebumps forming upon my skin as I let out a deep sigh.

Reaching over, I await the warm body I'm to hold onto, only, as I reach out, my hand lands on empty sheets.

Right away I sit up, scanning the massive room as I look for any sign of the man that inhabits this bed with me and has for nearly a week now. Looking left and right, I find no evidence of Zion, the bed untouched as just hours ago he was by my side as a thunderstorm roared outside, lightening striking the lake.

Getting to my feet, my toes sink into the Persian rug, my hands wrapping the robe around my bare body as the outline of a man can be seen on the balcony.

He's restless as I am as well tonight.

Following the figure, I walk out to the balcony, the strong winds hitting my face as the sky is still dark, no stars no moon to be seen.

"They say when not even the glory of the Moon Goddess can be seen at night that bad things are on their way," Zion speaks, letting me know he's already sensed me here.

I nod, wrapping my arms around the male as the freshly done mark sits upon the crook of my neck.

For months he's been wanting to do that, to sink his canines into my flesh as he claims me as his and no one else's. It's the scar now of his bite mark, already healed and tingling as I hold the Alpha King within my grasp.

I placed mine upon his neck, a tad lower than his ear, on the opposite side of Lillian's. Lillian, his rightful mate and murdered one as well. Zion tells me he plans on taking revenge upon Nixon in the end, to deal out a fate brutal as Nixon did to Lillian.

"But let's forget what myths as stories tell us, Zion, at least for the night. Ignore this warning and just look ahead towards tomorrow," I comment, my voice a mere whisper in the wind.

Zion turns around, facing me as those eyes stare into the pits of my soul. "What are we even doing, Sybil? Am I pushing marriage upon you? Am I? Am I so afraid that I'll die in the war that I will leave a Kingdom unattended if I don't marry and leave someone to t-

I slap the King, a light one, but enough to silence him as my eyes harden. "You don't ever say that again, Zion," I snap, holding his face in my hands as I offer him a warm smile. "We are getting married because we love one another. Yes, the factor of war does play a role in the pressure to tie the knot sooner, but fate always planned we would be married one time or another. Don't think about the past or future." I stand upon my tip toes, my lips brushing his. "Think about the present, even the events of tomorrow. Tomorrow we tie a knot we've wanted since you went down onto your knee on your birthday," I whisper, giving the King a soft and long kiss.

We savor the moment as my hands find their way to his hair, my heart pounding within my chest as Zion's body offers me warmth and comfort. "I wouldn't trade you for anything in the world, Zion."

"Nor would I," Zion replies, setting his hands upon my hips as the sprinkles turn into rain.

My hair becomes soaked, the silk robe sticking to me like a second skin as Zion's bare chest becomes drenched in water. "You won't leave me, will you? Not again?" Zion asks, pressing his forehead against mine as thunder cracks in the distance.

"I promise I won't nor have any intent to," I reply, pulling the king in for another kiss, leading him back into the bedroom as my eyelids become heavy. "Just come back to bed and sleep. We have a long day ahead tomorrow and you'll need all the sleep you can get."